Does your child have a cell phone?

If so, how old are/were they when they got it?
Do you monitor their use of the phone?
What services do they have, such as text, picture mail, camera phones, mp3 players, etc.?
Do you review their text messages and voicemails?
Do you review the pictures, if they have a camera phone?

I do. My daughter Isabel is almost 12 and she's had her phone for a little over a year. We just graduated her to a camera phone.
I don't feel like it's a violation of her privacy to review her phone. It was one of the rules she had to agree to, in order to have the phone: random phone reviews.

What are your views on a child having a cell phone?
Do you agree with this or not? And if not, why not?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 3:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If so, how old are/were they when they got it? Radio shack
    Do you monitor their use of the phone? Duh! Yes!
    What services do they have, such as text, picture mail, camera phones, mp3 players, etc.? camera phone. He usually takes pics of stupid stuff.
    Do you review their text messages and voicemails? no txting on it. I just set up the voice mail
    Do you review the pictures, if they have a camera phone? YES
    I got this mainly when he goes to dickhead's so i can keep in touch with him. We share it. It's a pre-paid cel and I told him I would get us one with a plan if he can take care of it for a min of 2 years and not lose it.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• nope
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My DD is 13 and she does not have a cell phone. There will definitely be rules and limitations when she does get one. We are thinking of adding a 3rd cell to our plan; it will be the extra phone rather than her phone and we will test the waters with that.
    Anonymous

• My son was 11. He always had a pre-paid one. Never had issues with it. He doesn't take it to school. He always tells me everything, I mean EVERTHING! He is super responsible with his phone. I don't ever even look at it or worry about it. He only uses it when neccessary.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My oldest who is 14 has an Iphone. He has had it for about 3 months now. My 12 yr old has just a regular cell with a camera. My younger two share a pre-paid cell phone, but I think I am going to get my third son who is 11 a regular cell and our 6 yr old can have the pre-paid.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 4:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Nope, our 13 yr old can't even have a job or a drivers license so there's no sense in having a cell phone. He doesn't go anywhere without an adult present so if he needs to call me he can use the parents phone. It's a luxury at this point so I don't see a need for it. When he's 16 he will have a very limited phone. Only for emergencies, not for texting, pictures, etc. He will learn the value of a dollar and not to abuse privileges. He has no grasp on what it takes to pay bills, so he will work part time when he's 16 in order to help pay for the phone.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Wow, full of trust for our kids are we? Geeze. My son has never used his to send texts or pics. He always asks to use mine. He only uses his if he needs to call me and isn't near a phone. That was he doesn't have to beg around for one. He already knows the value of a dollar. He also knows that he is trusted and he knows how to be responsible without having to wait until age 16. And he doesn't have to get a job to interfere with schooling. His phone is $10.00 a month and he gets rollover minutes. He has racked up 200 minutes because he is so frugal with it. Why deny him the chance to show that kind of responsibility if he is capable?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My child will not have one until he/she is 16 and driving OR has a job to pay for their own phone bill. Where exactly is my CHILD going to be that they don't have access to a phone? I mean geez we are all so lucky we survived with out cell phones as children... I'm sorry I just don't get it. When my 16 year old does get one it will be pre-paid and anything above what I provide will need to be covered by them. No min's - no money to get more? No driving. I must be mean I guess. Though I suppose there is time for me to change my mind but I'm not thinking that will happen...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• both girls have phones 14,12 and yes i check phones often,,,,,they have unlimited talking /txting plans(no suprise bills that way)
    they both got them when they where 10.......felt safer with after school activitys and sleep overs that i could call and check on them personaly
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my son has a cell phone has from the time he was 14 he has never abused it and he does know the value of a dollar from having the cell phone. you have to let them try to prove they can do it? JMO
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010