any ideals seven month old and doesn't play by herself hardly at all

my seventh month old little girl will hardly play by herself i know they say you can't spoil a baby but i always used to hold her when she cried i just couldn't take it and know even when i am sitting on the floor and playing with her all she wants to do is try and climb up me and cry how much time should she be playing by her self now? i still can't seem to have time to do anything around the house i understand that at that age they still need ur attention but all day she wont even stay in her playpen all she does is scream it's like she knows thats how she wins lol i just am afraid if she keeps this up she will be two and still glued to me ant suggestions i would appricate them thanks

millerchic

Asked by millerchic at 4:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As she gets older and can do more stuff, she will be happier for longer periods of time. Once my son was mobile (crawling) he was much better about playing by himself. I never really used my playpen (except for vacations), I just made sure the floor was clean and let him go. Right now, just let her sit in your lap and look at books, or shakers or whatever makes her happy. Pretty soon she'll scoot off of you to go get whatever toy she wants.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• When my kiddo's were very young, her age... I remember our doctor used to tell us there is a fine line of age when they can and can not be "spoiled".

I think that the more that you let her play by herself, set her to cry a minute with toys and fun stuff.... if she crys for you, go over give a toy a shake and move on to what you were doing. Keep doing it, don't give in... its like everything else, it takes getting used to.

After awhile she will get it :)
    Fairegirl33

Answer by Fairegirl33 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• one of my twins was like that. before she could crawl she wanted me to hold her all the time or atleast be playing with her. now that she can crawl she is so happy and off on her own. she hardly ever plays with me anymore!
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• She just needs to know that you are still there. My daughter was the same exact way and now she is 15! People used to say we were too close and that I should force her to spend time alone but I decided to do what felt right which was playing near by while i did other things. If I was cleaning the kitchen I would put her in her high chair with cheerios and she could watch me or she could go through the drawers and cabinets or if I was cleaning a bedroom I would take her in there and put her on the carpet and let her "help". Sure it made the tasks longer than they would of been otherwise but she has grown to be a wonderfully confident young lady and we are still close to this day. Dont worry, the dishes and housework will still be there when you get to them but before you know it your baby will be grown.
    emathena

Answer by emathena at 4:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You'll see her becoming more content to be by herself as she's able to move around and explore more. It will happen. You haven't spoiled her... My second daughter had to spend some time alone at that age because I was also chasing a 2 year-old... she survived. You obviously can't sit on the floor with her every minute of the day, so do what you need, but this is too young to expect her to entertain herself for extended periods of time. Believe me, it won't last forever, just try to keep her close so she can see you and so you can interact with her as much as possible.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• She's only seven months old. She isn't supposed to want to be alone or play by herself. She doesn't have the mental or physical development yet. EmilySusan I agree with completely.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• actually she is supposed to be able to play by herself for a little ask a doctor
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 10:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2010