How can I get a soft stool out of my daughter

My 15 mo. old has a difficult time when going #2, sometimes it is so hard for her to go it is bloody :(. People have reccomended Karo and yes I have used it but I need something else to try with excellent results.

Alicia10-2-08

Asked by Alicia10-2-08 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• Ask her doctor, Im sure that they will be able to give you some options whether they are natural ones or a kid friendly stool softener.
    Fairegirl33

Answer by Fairegirl33 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My pediatrician recommended Miralax for my daughter when she dealth with this problem. My niece who is now 5 has been taking it periodically since she was 2. It is available at Wal-mart and you take a 1/2 capful and add it to some juice. It helps to soften things really well. If she is potty trained then be sure to stay home the first day that she takes it since you dont know how long it will take to pass the first stool. It usually worked within 6 hours of giving it to my niece and the next day for my daughter, just depends on how their systems work. This really is a gentle product that does not cause the scary "run for the toilet" reaction that some other things cause. Its good for adults too.
    emathena

Answer by emathena at 4:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You could try a suppository, prune juice, or just prunes if she will eat them. I would take her to the doctor and have him make sure there isn't anything wrong and they can give you a prescription laxitive that might help.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• This sounds like a dietary issue. Eliminate meat, processed sugars, simple grains, bananas; cut back on or eliminate dairy. Make sure that she drinks lots of water, and eats fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. There is no reason for a child to get constipated, unless there is a medical issue.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I'm gluten intolerant. That's how my bowels were until I realized it. I hope she's not, but you might try a gluten-free diet for a week or 2 just to see.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com --- kid friendly recipe category there

Blessings of health to her!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Lots of juice. Maybe some prunes too! I would try the Karo syrup.... never heard anything bad about it!

My son was about 18 months old when he was having issues too, and they told me to give him suppositories. We used them once and he was fine.
    Mandie2006

Answer by Mandie2006 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ethan had the same problem and his pediatrician recommended mixing a tablespoon of miralax in with his juice. It's a stool softener and completely safe.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 8:31 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Ask her doctor! You don't want to give them anything unless you okay it with the pediatrician since not every child is the same. I hope they can give you some good suggestions :)
    Kysmom6

Answer by Kysmom6 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2010