Why do you all think there is an increase in terrorist activity recently?

It seems in the past, Bush and his policies were blamed for making us a target of attacks and hatred around the world. At a time when we have a President that many view as being more acceptable around the world, we seem to continue to be a target. It almost seems like its escalating. Your thoughts?

justmyopinion

Asked by justmyopinion at 4:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I first noticed it in early September.

What was going on for the terrorists in September? One thing I can think of was that McChrystal had submitted his report and strategy on Afghanistan and requested 65,000 to 70,000 troops in August. ... And in September there was no response from the White House. ... And in October. ... And in November, week after week.

Do we imagine that terrorists in Afghanistan are oblivious to American newscasts??! They were emboldened by the dithering of the White House team. For instance, in October more troops were killed than ever before in Afghanistan. Another instance: terrorists actually attacked AND took control of Pakistan's Pentagon. ... keep in mind that Pakistan has nukes, so these terrorists HAD control of nukes for those days.

Non-terrorists are forced to cooperate out of fear of brutality, since it is now obvious that Obama WILL abandon them to the domination of the Taliban.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I think it is just more out in the public then it was years ago. It is news and the media is getting higher ratings when the show these. I do think this will contiue and in time something bad will happen to this nation.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Waldorf- do you think we are our own worst enemy in that we DEMAND to know what our strategy is and our media is dominated by so much talk of what we should/should not be doing on the World front? Sometimes when I listen to the politicos demanding transparancey- I think- oh, I would rather have safety than transparancey.
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 5:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Terrorist have ALWAYS hated infidels--UNLESS you are an Islamic radical type, YOU are an infidel, and you are not fit to live on this planet (according to them). Oh, yeah and they hate people who love their freedom and capitalism--that's a real thorn in their side! Really, it's that simple!

The Bush Administration made it DIFFICULT for the terrorists to carry out their mission in ridding the world of infidels. By APOLOGIZING to them and wanting to sit down and discuss their issues with us, terrorists view us as weak! The Obama Administration has also become much more lax in their approach in keeping this country safe.

It's only because the PantyBober was unsuccessful that now that Obama's been backpeddling at warp speed. They all know they screwed up, and got REALLY lucky--THIS time!!

Even if we gave them all the tea in China, they would STILL hate us! They will NEVER like or tolerate us!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Every president is going to be tested. John McCain woulda been tested too. It would be silly to believe otherwise. They honestly don't care who's in the White House.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• justmyopinion:"Waldorf- do you think we are our own worst enemy in that we DEMAND to know what our strategy is and our media is dominated by so much talk of what we should/should not be doing on the World front? Sometimes when I listen to the politicos demanding transparancey- I think- oh, I would rather have safety than transparancey."

DEFINITELY. During the last 8 years, I have been astonished that reporters/ news organizations did not get tried for treason, or at least sued by the families of victims for causing deaths.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Re: "ridding the world of infidels" ... you have a point.
    BUT. After watching how "Islamic" radicals kill non-infidels just as freely as infidels, I am concluding that it is not about Islam. It is about the way American liberty under-cuts their authority over people under their domination. America's respect for women threatens the comfortable submissiveness of the radicals' women, for instance.

It is NOT just a founding fathers' slogan that humans have inalienable rights. It is truly human nature to rebel against tyranny. So the only way tyranny can maintain power is to keep its subjects ignorant of a more dignified way of life.

The struggle with these terrorists is the SAME struggle as we have against Marxist dictators:

Liberty against tyranny.

They just call themselves Islamist instead of Marxist. The ego-mania and brutality are the same.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• or at least sued by the families of victims for causing deaths.

Interesting point! Not everything or everyone needs to be "outed" I am sure there is a line between "should/need to know" and "want to/think its our right to know" and we have crossed more times than is safe!
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 5:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We are now seen as weak and passive. We do not continue with a war on terror. We are a peaceful nation and our hand is extended to all those that hate us with a smile.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• They take YEARS to recruit and plan. More have been arrested recently. But it has been on going since before 2001.

forever, how are we seen as weak when we just escalated the war in Afghanistan?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2010