gestational diabetes test....side effects?

I just took my blood test for gestational diabetes. I vaguely remember doing this for my son 2 years ago...and I don't remember it like this. After drinking the drink I started feeling funny. Kind of lightheaded and just plain weird. Then after they took my blood and let me leave I barely made it home thanks to still feeling off (I don't know how else to describe it). I was so sleepy when I got home that I just crashed which is odd because I usually can't sleep at all anymore...much less during the day. I still feel a bit sluggish, but not lightheaded or anything. Did anyone else go through this? What's going on?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Did you pass the test? Your blood sugar dropping could definitely have caused what you described. My dr's office always offers crackers and something to drink after fasting for the gestational diabetes test.

Answer by missanc at 4:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I don't know yet. They send it out to a lab to be tested so I won't know if I passed or failed until Monday.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I refused the test with my last child and will refuse it this time, too. I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and that drink really screws my blood sugar up. For one it is so damn sugary it makes me sick to my stomach to the point I've almost thrown up. I've failed the test with my 2nd and 3rd child and then 5 minutes after walking out of the office my blood sugar bottomed out and I almost passed out. When my blood sugar gets low I get dizzy, can't think straight, my arms and legs feel like jello and I get sick. Eventually I do pass out if I don't lie down or get some sugar in me. The 3 hour tests were like torture and after my 3rd child I swore I would never put my body through that again. The last 3 hour test I had to ask to lie down in the back because I was going to pass out after the 1st hour.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• That's exactly what I felt like justanotherjen! Good to know it's not just me! I thought something was really wrong there for a minute since the doctor never mentioned how the test could make me feel. I really hope I don't have to do the 3 hour test. It's going to be a long weekend waiting for those results!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2010