How can i get my son broken of sleeping in his swaddle.

He is getting to big for them now, he is six months old. And every time i attempt to put him to sleep without his swaddle he does nothing but cry. Is there anything to make the transition easier?

Jessane

Asked by Jessane at 4:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried loosening it but I found that just going cold turkey was best. Because if she broke free then she would cry, if she was left unswaddled she would cry. So, I just left her out and she cried for about 5 days when she went to bed for the night. Naps were much easier. But we were also breaking the paci at the same time. Just get it over with.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I stopped swaddling when my kids started rolling over at night so that they would be able to use their arms to roll back. They both slept better on their tummies, so not swaddling anymore wasn't an issue for them - they were happy to just roll over and go to sleep.
    Things to help: at 6 months, he's old enough for a "lovey" - does he have anything that he's attached to, like a blankie or special stuffed animal? If not, you could try giving him one of your shirts that you've worn but not washed to see if your scent helps him sleep. You can also help him create an attachment to a lovey by choosing something that's easy to cart around everywhere and just start always putting it with him - in his carseat, in his bed,etc. Having a lovey item helps them to self sooth, which makes sleeping a TON easier!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We just swaddled until my son didn't like it anymore... he was 5-6 months old when he didn't like it anymore. We bought a Woombie to keep him swaddled in, it was really nice. Once your son starts moving around, rolling and crawling and things like that they don't like the swaddle as much.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Why would you want to do that? Just get a bigger blanket! There is no need to "break" a baby of the comfort they crave especially that small for a reason that is so easily remedied. When he is ready he will leave the swaddle need on his own.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I went and bought the flat crib sheets to swaddle my twins when they outgrew their baby blankets...it at least got them to sleep...they'll break themselves of the habit when they are ready.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son in 6 1/2 months old and we still swaddle him:) We made some bigger swaddle blankets (just got some big peices of cute fabric from the fabric store and sewed the edges) ... I figure we'll have to teach his wife how to swaddle him someday! LOL
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010