What should baby eat while having a fever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was always told no dairy, nothing greasy. same for upset stomach, vomiting.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• NO MILK! The milk will curdle in the baby's stomach either resulting in diarreah or vomiting. The brat diet is always good: It includes dry toast (no butter), applesauce, bananas and ricewater. Go easy on the food though. Dont force it.
    emathena

Answer by emathena at 4:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I agree, no grease or dairy and don't try to make them eat. If they aren't drinking my pediatrician said its ok to give them popsicles, anything to get liquids in(DD was vomiting that time). You said baby... DD was well over a year when she was vomiting and her pediatrician told me that.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 5:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Just make sure that what they do eat is healthy and won't upset their tummies, and they they get PLENTY of fluids. Fluids are the big thing with fevers. Dehydration makes them feel ten times worse and can become very dangerous. To avoid dehydration, push water, pedialyte if you have it, and other low-sugar, high water drinks. Milk and juice or anything high in sugar or caffeine should be avoided, as they can make dehydration worse by upsetting the stomach or causing diarrhea.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I always make miso soup

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• how old is the baby?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It depends on what her other symptoms are. If there are none then he/she can probably eat what he/she normally eats. If there is a nasty cold with drainage then you will want to avoid dairy. If there is nausea, vomiting, diarrhea then you will want to stick with anything that is bland because they are least likely to irritate an already irritated digestive system.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2010