valentines and easter

how much do you spend on these holidays? what would you buy a 9 year old DD and a 6year old DS,

for valentines I found myDD a gift she'd love for $35 and another tractor for DS,
that like $70 for both gifts not including candy or wrapping paper WAY TOO MUCH MONEY I AM SO BROKE!! uuugggg what does everyone else spend????

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 5:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• How about something that is almost free like date night with mom. You could make a coupon for each of them telling them that you will take them to eat icecream or for a trip to the library. Its not about how much you spend moneywise but about how much time you spend. I get my kids a card from dollar tree and a bag of their favorite chocolates for valentines and for Easter, i make baskets with candy and cookies in them. Its simple but they love it! Save the big spending for Christmas.
    emathena

Answer by emathena at 5:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I think that's too much. My kids get a small box of candy, the 99cent kind and maybe a cheap stuffed animal. For Easter they get baskets with candy and cheesy dollar store stuff and a DVR that they have been wanting. Nothing too expensive. I spend maybe a $100 total on Easter and I have 3 kids.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We do not give lavish gifts for these holidays. Valentine's Day is really for adult sweethearts, not children, except for the Valentines exchanged at school. The most the kids get from us is a box candy hearts and maybe a heart shaped lollipop. This is a holiday that something for younger children to look forward to celebrating with their own sweetheart.

Easter is celebrated with an Easter basket filled with a chocolate bunny, chocolate eggs, colored egss, marshmallow chicks and that plastic grass that you'll be finding all over your house for the next 10 years. The joy in the holiday is a special dinner with family, decorating the Easter eggs and maybe an Easter egg hunt or two.
    Anonymous

• I have just the one child so I normally spend around $100 on him for Easter. There is usually something he wants so that is what I will buy him. Although he is a teen, I still do the Easter Basket as well. I also make my husband one as well.
    The same goes with Valentines day. I will buy him something that he wants, as well as my husband.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• ya I think that is a little much too for my 2 girls and my nephew i buy for only cause m y sister buys for my girls and I will feel bad if she got my girls stuff and I didn't get him anything. For Vday I buy all three of them a small box of chocolate then for Eday I go to the dollar tree lol it saves money though i buy the grass from there and the plastic eggs for the small candy I buy a stuffed animal for each of there baskets and I usually put in each basket some sidewalk chalk and some bubbles and the rest candy oh and for their easter baskets instead of a plain basket you know what I do??? I buy a sandbox bucket for them they can reuse it lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• these holidays are nothing like christmas. christmas is the only holiday we go all out. For v-day we may buy a cute stuffed animal and some chocolates...and the family go out to dinner. For Easter he gets a Easter basket, I usually like to fill it with some fun little surprises instead of a crapload of candy...i hate candy! A few chocolates are okay.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i usually do the easter buckets too =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I usually give kids little toys and candies.
    This year tho I am guilty of planning on giving my son a 30 dollar gift.
    He had this remote control truck that his great grandmas friend ran over they wont replace it so I am going to surprise him with it for valentines day.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• For Vday we do small candy and a card for the boys.

For Easter we do an Easter bucket but it only has a few cars in it, a piece of candy or two.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 5:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• NO WAY I HATE EASTER GRASS-----IT SHOULD BE ILLEAL--I use sand pails instead of easter baskets!!! And i am also cutting way back on candy too
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 6:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010