How do I get my two year old to take a nap?

She won't go to sleep. She sleeps all night; about 11 1/2 hours but she'll be yawning, laying her head to the side, crying over nothing, and won't nap. She goes to bed at about 7:30 and it is a struggle to keep her up that late, she is up by 6:30-7:00.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 5:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try changing what you call it from nap time to quiet time and let her have a book or two to rest with. I don't know why but IME toddlers HATE the word nap but if you ask them to rest and read they accidentally fall asleep:)
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my daughter is 2 and takes a nap daily. 130 is naptime. I ask her to grab her teddies and blanky, and she will and reach her arms up. Sometimes she spends the first hour of her 2 hour nap making noise and bouncing around in her crib, but regardless i make sure she gets a chance to lay down, power down and rest daily. And she sleeps from about 930 until 8-830 in the morning.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 5:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my daughter stopped shortly after hitting her 2nd b-day and my son made it until maybe 2 1/2
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• mine stopped napping around 18 months.

make it a quiet time instead of naptime - about all that worked to keep me sane. lol

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If she wont take a nap, have her do rest time. That's what i did with my oldest. I used a movie for rest time. The movie is optional obviously but that's what worked for me. I would let him pick out a "slow movie" (one with very little action and softer tones over all) He got teddy bear and a blanket. The rule was he had to lay on the couch being still and quiet, watching his "slow movie" for an hour. If he starting getting all wound up or being too crazy then he had to rest in his own bed in his room. It worked out fine most days. There were even times when he fell asleep during that hour. If he was asleep then I let him sleep until he woke on his own but if he did not go to sleep, he was able to get up after the alarm sounded that his time was up.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010