Do you think there is such a thing as "natural weaning" when it comes to a BF toddler?

I am still BF my soon to be 2 year old. My other 3 kids naturally weaned between 3-6 months of age. I am mostly a SAHM and this is my last baby and she is definitely strong willed. We co sleep as well. Do you think kids will stop on their own or do I need to do something drastic. My husband seems to thin she will stop when she is good and ready, but I am good and ready, now

momruns4fun

Asked by momruns4fun at 5:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she is still in a growth spurt? Have you checked out "Nursing your Baby" by Karen Pryor? Very good tips in there for natural weening at all stages.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Natural child led weaning occurs typically at about age two. Before a year...it's usually something baby has been led to due to *some* external factor.

And your husband is right...your toddler will stop when good and ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ok, the bad news is that I also have a strong will child, he will be 3 in March...I've been wanting and hoping he's wean since 18 months...I don't know what to do either. My daughter self weaned at 13 months no problem...
    Anonymous

• My ds is 29 mos old and only nurses to sleep or if he has a "boo-boo". Occasionally he will nurse in the middle of the day. But he is my last and I'm just letting him decide.He nurses less and less and some days not at all.I think it will come soon.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Yes, child-led weaning is real. My daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I had to wean my oldest off BF'ing because of a early pregnancy but my girls both self weaned at 20mos.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2010