Is it wrong for me to want some 'me' time?

I'm a single mom, and I know, no one said parenting would be easy with help or without. I love my daughter, so much. Words can't describe your love for your child, or children. It seems like I only find I get a break from my daughter when I go out ONCE(Sunday to be exact) a week with a friend. I'm really starting to go nuts, I need some ME time. Her father isn't any help to me, he always has something better to do than spend time with our daughter(he's who watches her the one night I go out). My family members and friends are usually too busy with their own lives to babysit for a few hours. I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I would have more patience with my daughter if I had more than once a week away for a few hours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• No it is not wrong to need "me" time. Even being married I tell you I wish I trusted someone to babysit so we could get out even for a couplehours.
    Everyone needs breathing room.
    Doesnt matter if you are single or married.
    Try to get a sitter if you can. Get out for a little.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No, its not wrong. Do you work outside the home? I think this weekend I am having lunch for an hour with my friend and that will be the first time of ME time for 6 months. and he's 2. But as most people got to enjoy thier infants, I didn't due to his all day colic and so many other issues he literally cried ALL the time he was up so this is my pc of heaven.. sounds like you also need a talk with DH who needs to check his priorities for his families sake and wellness and happiness, which also means making sure mommy is rested well and happy! GL!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• sorry, I missed the you are single part.. sorry.. ugh. .
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• maxsmom11807,

it's okay. i could tell him, but since he doesn't care enough to see his daughter more than once a week he probably won't care about my feelings. I'm just not happy being a mommy anymore. =( and no, I am a SAHM.

-Poster
    Anonymous

• Time was that when a married couple had a child, the "me" became from then on the "we." It was all about the family. And Dad was a partner, and he wanted to be a dad as much as Mom wanted to be a mom. So if Mom needed to go somewhere, and Dad was free, he wanted to help out, but Mom did not go out just to get away. When a single woman gets pregnant, "me" becomes "we", but instead of a three "we", it's a two "we", and "me" has to give up even more of "me" than if "we" were a three "we". Wanting to satisfy "me" is why most single moms get pregnant to begin with. They are doing what feels good to "me" and what makes "me" happy, and then when this little child comes on the scene, lo and behold, it gets in the way of "me." Getting to go out once a week to be the single "me" is a bonus, so try to be happy with it. Getting out more isn't how you get more patience anyway. May not be wrong to want more, but it's unrealistic.
    Anonymous

• No. It's not wrong,I think it's very healthy actually.
    It's ideal but sometimes not possible for a mom to get that "me" time. I am a sahm and I have two kids w/ADHD (and a dh). I have no family upon whom I can depend that lives near and neither does dh. I don't have time for friends or really anything else in my life. We do attend church but thats about it. I would say,that if you work outside the home that at least you have got some contact w/other adults. Find another Mom who you could trade babysitting nights with. GL
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with it at all. I think you're actually pretty damn lucky to get "me" time once a week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I joined a play group when they would play I would have my mommy friends and they would play in the yard while we sat on the patio talking. Or when I got off work there was a two hour period before they came home from daycare and I would work out or walk or even shop something for me. I was a single parent so I took whatever time I could me time is important.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2010