how can i get my 2 yr old almost 3 yr old to potty train?

he just never tells me when he needs to go not even if it's after he wet his diaper. I have to constantly be checking him.

Naralie

Asked by Naralie at 5:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a cheerio in the potty and make it a game for him to sink it. Does he have a child potty, if not he needs one. But they also make the things that you just attach to the reg toilet for them to sit on. Take the diapers off of him and put underwear on him, it will be a pain at first but a diaper just keeps the wetness away from them. I am sure he don't want poop in his undies!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would tr y taking him when you go and when you can (at home) put big boy undies on him. I started trying with my dd when she turned 2 but she just didn't get it. We tried off and on but didn't push it. The week after she turned 3 it was like the lightbulb went on and she got it. She didn't have any accidents after the first week and she has only peed her bed a couple times since then (she is now 6). We didn't even use night time diapers. Just don't be pushy and he will get it in his own time. Good Luck!!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Exactly what the PP said, Toddlers are ready to train when they want to be, not when we want them to be. They all get around to it when they are good and ready, and not a moment before. Pushing potty training can actually set them back further. Get some pull-ups, show him how to push them down on his own, and then let him decide what he wants to do. You can use regular underwear too, that sometimes works because they don't like the way they feel when they get wet. But always use a diaper at night until potty training is complete and you are 100% sure there won't be night time accidents, so as to not make your child feel bad for wetting his bed.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Go cold turkey on the diapers in teh daytime. Let him run around bare bottomed and let him just pee. Have lots of underwear adn changes of pants. Its a rough 2 months but it works. Poo and overnight is another story, though. That takes a while.
    whitrashwedding

Answer by whitrashwedding at 7:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• we let are 2 year pick out his own undies at the store and than he gets to wear them and we tell him things like elmo doesnt like to get wet or dirty so where do you g to the potty at? and he does pretty good with that plus he gets to read on the potty like all the other males in the family do it makes him feel really grown up....
    iluvyoucharlie

Answer by iluvyoucharlie at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2010