for all you moms who dont want to circumsize your sons

i personally think it would be really mean to not circumsize your son just for the simple fact of how embarrassing it would be for him. but im taking a human sexuality class right now, and today we were talking about the penis & we had to learn about uncircumsized penis's. My professor said that a few yrs back, it was thought that there were more dangers then not in circumsizsions but that recently the WHO has said that it is actually more dangerous to not circumsize. The extra skin increases your risk of STD's & AIDS, penial cancer, and UTI's. It also increases the risk of him giving his partners cervical cancer and anal cancers. It also can cause smegma if you dont know how to properly clean it, which is a cheesy like substance that forms under the foreskin which is bad for them. Just figured id let you all know because ive quite often seen moms on here saying they dont think its necessary to circumsize there sons! :)

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 5:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• I think its great that you are laying out all the facts for these moms so that they can make an educated decision. this is not what I would consider to be a judgemental question, but rather intended to inform. I made the educated decision to get my kids circumcised. Esp. cuz when they are in that in between age where they don't want momma to see them naked, but also couldn't care less if they wear the same underwear for a week, they wouldn't much be conscientious about cleaning their penis properly either.

lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Popcorn anyone?popcorn

ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i think you have your opinion and everyone has theirs with much respect to you and everyone! but i have a son and a daughter i didnt circumsize my son either but thats why the parent are there to teach them how to properly clean the penis. & no i dont see anything wrong with uncircumsized babies or adults...
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't know if YOU can circumcise your son...I mean, shouldn't the baby doctor circumcise him? LOL. Its a good thing to do. The ones who object are in that "cult" that also breast feeds until thier kids go off to college,ya know. Ha.
    Anonymous

• It's largely an American thing. Your prof could be going on old info. World wide it's only about 25% of men who are snipped. In the US it's about 52% of male babies last year.

In some parts of the world they circumcise women. They think that's a "good thing to do." They have "science" that says it has positive benefits.

Doctors used to prescribe cigarettes to people. Now we know that is bad. "Science" changes. Doctor's change. And world wide, fewer boys are getting snipped.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics (1999) stated: "Circumcision has been suggested as an effective method of maintaining penile hygiene since the time of the Egyptian dynasties, but there is little evidence to affirm the association between circumcision status and optimal penile hygiene."

The American Academy of Pediatrics (1999) stated: "Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In the case of circumcision, in which there are potential benefits and risks, yet the procedure is not essential to the child’s current well-being, parents should determine what is in the best interest of the child."
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• if it were truly safer to circumsize, then the insurance companies and medicaid would not consider it Cosmetic, which is why my son is uncircumsized, I couldn't afford the full cost of the procedure since it wasn't covered.
    Anonymous

• I call buttsh*t, my son is circumsized and medicaid PAID FOR IT!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Actually it dates back to the bible. It has been done much longer then any of us have been around,
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Medicaid in NC did not pay for my friend's son's circumcision. I'm not a medicaid expert. It could be state by state. That was in 2008.
    Anonymous