Getting healthy

I've heard a lot about women doing a detox after having a baby, and doing a bunch of over hauling of their kitchen pantrys to eat better.

My question is, if you do a detox, how does that work? What do you eat/drink/ do for it?

What are some healthy ingredients that you have that are not easy ingredients?
I don't have the extra funds to buy mangos, tons of peppers, fruits (that are not normally in season) and an over load of veggies.

For our meals, we normally do a pasta, meat, veggie. so its not that we are 'picky' but for a tight budget, its hard to buy tons of more expensive items.

AND I live in Alaska, where produce is a lot more expensive than in the lower 48. So that is why I can't do tons of produce.

Thanks :D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy

I have tons of healthy, tasty, budget and family friendly recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Stop buying boxes and cans. Can your own veggies and fruits when things are in season and on sale. Frozen items are better and have less BPA and fake foods in them.

Rice and whole grains are cheaper and healthier than pasta. By whole grains I mean the grain itself, whole. Not made into bread or crackers. Barley, quinoa, amaranth, oats, potatoes.

Dried beans are cheap. Way cheaper than meat.

Eat seasonally. Do you have a CSA? A food co-op? That's the cheapest way to get food. Real food.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com -- my healthy eating blog. It is gluten-free.

Fronteir co-op has an online store where you can order bulk natural items. Sugar, rice flour, dried beans, nuts, etc. Stupid cheap.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If you're doing a detox to cleanse your colon etc the best one is the Master Cleanse. You drink a liquid diet for 5-7 days depending on your needs. I've only been able to do 5 days. You can find the "recipe" and instructions online. It's basically Water, lemon juice, grade b maple syrup (that's your only calories really) and cayenne pepper. I think it tastes pretty good. Sweet with a kick at the end.
    You'll have a few days to prep for it by eating brown rice and no meat, then 5 days on the liquid and gradually bring back foods but only healthy choices, lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains and no white starches or sugars. Slowly introduce meat. You will lose a little weight too but be warned no exercise during the cleanse.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I did the master cleanse. google it...there's lots of info.

frozen fruit is just as good as fresh.

lean meats

whole grains and brown rices instead of white pasta, bread, rice
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010