How much tv is too much tv for a toddler?

Like baby shows, baby Einstein and things like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• i usually have nick jr on during the day. alot of time my daughter is not watching and we are playing together. sometimes she will stop and watch if something should get her attention. she has her favorites though and i allow her to watch them. but she doesn't get mad when i change the channel. I would think that a couple hours a day is fine as long as they are active and not just sitting there watching the tv.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 6:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son loves baby Einstein and shows like that and honestly..If he wants to watch them I would not tell him coulden't. Especially if it makes him happy. I mean the chances of a toddler actually sitting in front of the tv all day and not wanting to ever do anything else is probably rare. I don't think it will hurt a child to watch shows like that all day if its what they want. My son also LOVES mickey mouse and I see nothing wrong with him watching it if its what he wants..I personally don't like my kids watching commercials ...So I make sure its a dvd or on demand shows..but, thats just me! :o)
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Coming from the recommendations of a therapist, TV is fast moving. That's why it interests kids so much. Teaches them to be passive learners. They sit there and take in the information/entertainment.

Ideally they shouldn't watch it til they're 2 and when they do you should be watching it with them and asking them questions and making comments or inferences. It's not a time to just sit there. Seriously, it kills dendrites!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Personally, any TV is too much in my opinion. Kids arent meant to sit there and watch TV. Interact with them, let them explore, etc.

It will be much better than being a couch potato.

Anonymous

• When my daughter was a toddler, I never let her watch more than a total of 2 hrs. a day. That was not a straight 2 hrs. That was an accumulation throughout the day. Usually though, she watched a couple of shows in the morning while I was getting ready for work and that was it. Toddlers and babies don't need their little minds warped by TV at such a a young age.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 6:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• IMO, any TV before age three is too much; after that, no more than two hours a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• well right now my daughter isn't talking yet and some of the cartoons that she watches are actually helping her interract and learn speech...so not all tv is bad for a toddler.
    Anonymous

• That is something that you have to decide for yourself and your family. Everyone has differing opinions when it comes to television viewing. For my daughter, I don't limit television viewing. I limit the types of programs she watches. She doesn't sit in front of the tv all day, so right now, it's not a problem.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If no one is watching it, turn it off.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010