Can anyone tell me about a good teen relationship...one in which you are happy to see your daughter in?

How is she treated? What kinds of things do they do together? Do you trust the boy? If you trust your daughter, does trusting the boy even matter? My daughter has picked losers (the current one has a mean streak and is nice only when he feels like it) since she broke up with her first BF, who was so sweet and polite (it lasted under a year), and has had boy drama ever since. I don't even know if a great teen relationship can even exist from what I've seen...I'd like to ban all boys and dating, but I don't think it's possible...she's 15?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think a good teen relationship can exist as long as she meets a nice kid who has things in common with her. they can go to the movies, go ice skating, go to the beach, rent movies, go out to eat. things like that. youll just have to drop them off and probably give her some money too. you just may have to realize that your daughter might not end up loosing her virginity to the same guy she marrys, and she might loose it earlier then you want her too. but it will be a life experience that she has to learn on her own.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Anytime your teen daughter is dating its especially important to just sort of go over birth control. Just remember boys at that age are pretty muh aways horny (not their fault), so she may have some pressures on her. If they are in a good relationship they should do things like go to the girl's house, the door should always be open, and no laying in bed together etc.
    Anonymous

• My DD just turned 19 on wed. She is in a healthy relationship. She is open and honest with me, asked my this Dec for bc, I would rather have that conversation than they hey mom I'm pregnant one. When I first met him he came to our door, I asked her what time she would be home, he did not miss a beat before he asked what time do you want her home? He is respectful, joins us for family dinners and holidays, his mom is awesome,,,she has made a good choice so far. My 16 yr old had some trouble, her bf had a mix up with us, because he was a bit too touchy feely for our taste, we addressed the issue and things have been better, but i keep my eye on them. You can only do so much, just watch and keep the door open.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My 16 yo dd had a relationship for a while with a boy who started out as her friend of 2 years. So we knew him and his family. They both had the same friends and all was well. Until she got bored. I could feel it coming, but she handled it well. Breaking up was not easy or fun for either of them. It is not supposed to be. But..once word got out that she was single her phone went crazy with boys texting. During her relationship we talked a lot about everything. And I am still talking! I agree with salexander, I would rather put my dd on bc than have to worry about what to do if she got pregnant. But that is me. We have rules that are not broken and if they are--game over! No boy comes to pick her up with out coming in my house, not going to happen. She has to tell me where, with whom and what time she will be home. She knows this in law! And any boy that wants to spend time with my dd with also follow these rules.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2010