I just found out that my thyroid level is low, but I'm not over-weight. Anyone know why? (not that I'm complaining) I just don't understand.

Does it start off low and get worse and then the weight gain comes on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• If your THS is low that means your thyroid is over-active (high TSH means your thyroid is underactive). Losing weight is often associated with an overactive thyroid, and gaining weight is often associated with an underactive thyroid. However, the symptoms for under and over active thyroids are all over the board, and some symptoms can even be the same. My thyroid became extremely overactive, and I gained weight because I was crazy hungry all the time.
    Anonymous

• Often times thyroid problems cause people to gain weight. So you being thin doesn't mean anything.
    Anonymous

• If you exercise more you can bring your metabolic rate (the rate at which you burn calories when at rest) down. You may have to exercise more than the average person with a normal thyroid just like I have to...I walk 3-5 miles aday and cannot drop a pound unless I bump it up to 7 miles a day just eating one meal a day and fruit for a snack. It SUX~!
    Anonymous

• my thyroid levels dropped drastically after I had my first son (still don't know why, they just say it was an odd side effect of the pregnancy, didn't happen with my other 2) but at the time I was thin too. Then the weight just kept coming and coming! now, I did not get obese but I did put on about 30 lbs before my levels got back to normal.
    Anonymous