How can I control my 3yo daugther's mouth and demanding ways?

I thought her 2's were hard enough. Now we're at the stage were she's tellming me to stop and what she's not going to do. She has but one more time to tell me she's not going potty or not going to bed. Or "I'm not.....(fill in the blank)." It's like looking in the mirror sometimes. What can I do, other than getting fustrated? I want to try and get it in check before it gets out of hand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a four year old...a very "spirited" four year old. I think it just takes consistancy. You want to stay calm because they are going to learn to react the way that you do. So, if you want calm and respectful behavior, you have to give it. When your child is being mouthy, get down to their level and talk to them in a stern but calm tone. They should get a warning and then consequences, whether it's time out or something taken away. The opposite should be done when they have good behavior. They should be praised. It's really trying...I know. Sometimes I lose my cool and my husband takes over. There's even been a time where I've locked myself in the bathroom and told my husband to deal with it because I was done. I try to keep in mind that these characteristics can be admirable in an adult. She is an independent thinker, intelligent and sticks to her convictions.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• whoop that ass and tell her she is not queen of the world. The 3's are the worst!
    Anonymous

• Don't tell me that, 2's were hell. Am I allowed to say hell? H-E double hockey sticks I pop her mouth after the third time of telling me that she not going to bed. Plucking her mouth hasn't helped. Time out doesnt' work for that already tried. I've popped her tail but she yell as soon as you grab her. I live in an apartment and can't afford for my neighbors to hear her 6-7 times a day.

Anonymous

• If you figure it out something that works let me know cause my dd just turned 6 and can be a sassy little thing and I have tried all that too and nothing seems to work!!
    brandy2186

Answer by brandy2186 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• MY DAUGHTER IS 3YRS OLD AS WELL I JUST TELL HER THAT I NOT TO TALK TO ME THAT WAY OR TO HUSH AND IF THAT DOSENT WORK I TELL HER IM GOING TO SLAP HER BUT I HAVENT HAD TO AND IF SHE DOSENT WANT TO GO TO SLEEP DON'T TELL HER TAKE HER TO HER ROOM AND LAY HER DOWN AND TELL HER YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE HER UP ANYMORE THE SAME THING FOR THE POTTY DON'T TELL HER TAKE HER I KNOW SHE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO GO BY HERSELF JUST TAKE HER BY THE HAND AND TELL HER SHE IS GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU.JUST DON'T TELL HER AND LET HER REPEAT NO TAKE HER AND SHOW HER SHE IS NOT THE BOSS AND THAT SHE HAS TO LISTEN TO YOU...
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 9:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• that she does (sticks to her convictions). She's very strong willed and determined. I don't want to take that trait from her just manage it better.

Anonymous