Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long after marriage can I get on my hubby's (military) medical insurance?

My boyfriend and I are getting married in March, he's in the Marines. Right now, I'm on public aid because I'm pregnant and don't have insurance otherwise. I'm moving to California from Illinois so I know my current coverage won't transfer. I Was just wondering when I will get coverage. Is it instant or does it take a couple weeks?

Answer Question

Asked by alinker at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Relationships

Level 14 (1,666 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • IT will take a couple weeks for him to do the paper work and stuff. I know that I was on my husbands insurence with in a week after us beign married.
    It wont take to long.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • You have to do it within 30 days of the marriage, and I believe that it would backdate to the date of the marriage, meaning any bills you incurred between the date you marry and the date they input your info into their system and get you covered would be covered by the insurance. You would probably have to submit those bills to them, or submit the receipts if you pay them yourself, but they would be covered, I'm pretty sure. Congrats on the marriage!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • i was on my husbands pretty damn quick. i can not recall how long, but i know as soon as you get married you have to get your military ID and paperwork taken care of. so all in all it does not take long.

    Answer by xtwilightx at 6:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • He should go ahead and get the paperwork. I believe it is effective from the date you are married.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • We were married on a Sat. I was on DEERS Mon. We went to Tricare and I was enrolled Tues. It was all effective imm. because I was going to a military facility. If you choose a civilian Dr. Tricare normally takes 30 days to get everything set up, BUT you can still go to the ER on post ect....
    It's been 10 yrs but I can't imagine things have changed that much!

    Answer by bgcmommy at 6:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • you can file papers as soon as you are married. You will need a copy of your marriage cert that is certified. It goes into efect on base as soon as the paper work is done. You get your cards in the weeks to follow, use his until then.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • My husband is a Marine and I was also pregnant when we got married and I got on his insurence pretty quick! Just make sure he goes to the office as soon as he can and you need to go with him I think.... Good Luck! :)

    Answer by heatherjenea at 8:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! He's going to take a few days off so we can get the paperwork done.. I just wasn't sure how long it would take. :)

    Answer by alinker at 9:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.