Any SAHMs been out of work for more than 5 years?

Or moms been in that situation and now work?

I haven't had a job since Jan '06, and it was short lived at McDonalds. I recently had my second baby and I'm still trying to finish college. I worry that my lack of work experience and with most jobs wanting 1-2+yrs experience AND a bachelor, that I'm gonna have trouble finding any work when I graduate. My DH had a similar problem when he graduated, but he just didn't have career experience in what he majored in. I wonder if I'll just find myself working retail or fast food til I gain enough years.

Just want to hear other moms ' experience with this. A little encouragement and motivation is all.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 6:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• haven't worked since my oldest was born....almost 9 years ago (actually the 9th 'not working anymore; anniversary would be on sunday)

I've been thinking of finding a job. but its a challenge.

GOOD LUCK!

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I am 43 and have been at home for 24 years (since I got married). I don't need to work and I don't plan on it unless something should happen to my husband and then I will go to school for something I enjoy. The insurance money will be more than enough money for me to live off comfortably for quite a few years so I can pursue something that I will enjoy.
    Anonymous

• I haven't worked since the beging of 06 . I have tried to find a job some since then but haven't really had much luck since i have not much experiences and no college degree!!

GOOD LUCK!
    brandy2186

Answer by brandy2186 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value: time management, logistics, budgeting and finance, etc. Chances are, you have been doing some volunteer work, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Anon 5:48, I hope my dh doesn't die anytime soon because we just dropped all health and life insurance on ourselves because they raised the cost, lol. I'm glad you have that comfort, I hope to have that one day or at least provide that comfort to my kids.

rkoloms, I wish jobs actually took motherhood into consideration? I believe I have all those skills, but I don't think any job will take me seriously if I put it in my resume. :-(
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 6:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I became a SAHM in Dec. '02, since my oldest was about 9 months. I've been trying to figure out a job, too. I'm going to need to go back to work next year when DD starts school (to cover tuition). Recently I have been considering starting a business with a couple of friends, we'll see how that works.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Good luck with that adventure CaLizzyMom. I hope it works out; at least enough to help you get a foot in. :)
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 11:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yeah.. my problem is i been home since 04 and hasnt worked since graduation.. my hubby has let me be home and i just started a business but once the kids go into elementary school and i have to start work its gana be very hard to find.. ive tried before to find a job while my kids were in day schoolbut nothing even walmart wouldnt hire me.. no one would i didnt know why.. ive worked managment all through high school so i was confused,... i just gave up.. so im trying to build my business for the next two years before the kids start fulltime school.. plus where i live there isnt much at all either i work at the school or at the hospital in reception..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I haven't worked in 9 years. I don't know if I'll ever go back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Swaney06, I had the same problem, too. I kept wondering why no one would hire me. I figured my work history was as good as any first time teenager. So I gave up and just blamed the economy. It took a year for my husband to find another job after he graduated. He's at the bottom, and we took a paycut but at least he's gaining much needed experience. I just don't want to keep relying on him to take care of me, you know? It's a lot of pressure on him, too. I won't lie, I wish I never have to work, but nothing is promised forever and I want a home one day.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 12:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010