Opinions on co-sleeping?

It always kills me when I see a post asking how to get your kid out of your bed. It would have been a lot easier on the child if they were not in it to begin with. I don't think it's fair to the child to suddenly be told that their life has to change. They just think they are being punished for something by not being allowed to sleep with you anymore. Or that you just don't want them with you.

I think it is so much easier on them to just sleep on their own from the get go.

Opinions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• while breastfeeding, I did cosleep for purely selfish reasons, I did not want to keep getting up to get baby, it was much easier to roll over and pop it in their mouth. ;) But I did not have any issues once breastfeeding was over for us and we moved them to the crib. but both my kids self weaned at about 6 months, so it's not like we did it for a year or more.
    Anonymous

• You do what is best for your family and I will do what is best for mine. Have you never asked for parenting advice on here? Did you like it when people judge your way of doing things wrong? Probably not. So keep your rude judgments to yourself.
    My co-sleeping children had no problems moving into their own beds each at about 15 months.
    Anonymous

• I think it is dangerous and it scares me. There were several instances of infants and toddlers dying (suffocating) while sleeping with parents in my town last year. I would never want to be in that position. I cannot even imagine how a mother deals with something like that.
    Anonymous

• i think you are right! i pu tmy son in his crib as soon as he was born the same with my daughter...i agree completely.. the only time i make an exception is when they are sick! because they just want comfort
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 6:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Hold on, let me go pop some popcorn! I feel some drama about to begin....LOL
    Anonymous

• i dont think people are judging you "anon. " i think everyone needs to mature and we all do what we think is best for our children... i dont think its rude saying what she thinks we all have a right of opinion... i do however think it is not safe you could roll over on to your baby... but everyone does what they feel is best!
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 6:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• "i do however think it is not safe you could roll over on to your baby... but everyone does what they feel is best! "

You are obviously not educated in SAFE cosleeping. Most if not all fatalities related to cosleeping have some other determining factor other than just cosleeping. IE, substance abuse-drugs or alcohol, sleep disorders, heavy sleeping, extremely obese parents and such. Healthy, unimpaired parents are required for safe cosleeping.
    Please read up on it before making such harsh statements.
    Anonymous

• YOU ARE RIGHT. WE SHOULD ALL LOCK OUR BABIES AWAY IN CAGES CRIBS.

Anonymous

• I agree with you... i never co slept with my child! I've heard so many other mothers around me (not on here) who rolled on their baby and suffocated them and I wasn't willing to go through that! I am a very heavy sleeper however so I know at one point it would have happened. Plus, DH and I agreed before having kids that the bed is our personal place... meant only for mommy and daddy and a child may come in rarely after a nightmare!
    Anonymous

• Co-sleeping is having the baby in the room with you. Bedsharing is sharing the bed with them. I breastfed and it was easier for everyone to have her sleep in the bed with me at night. She did just fine going into her own bed.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2010