How do I get it through his thick skull?

About two or three months ago I put in an application for walmart for SO's mother. A manager called her in for an interview but she wouldn't speak to him b/c of her lack of English. She had her husband ask for a translator and therefore, they never called back. I'm really sorry about what happened. Now my S/O is making me put in ANOTHER application for her after that happened. I doubt the system would even let me since it hasn't been 6 months since the last application. He's all pissed off at me now. He thinks I'm trying to cheat her out and I'm not. What do I say?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Say you did it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I think I will. I hate lying but that seems to be my last resort.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• With the Wal-mart in my area (mass) it's actually 1 year before they allow you to re-apply, she needs to understand that if she wants a job that is going to require her to be a big girl and speak for herself no one can hold her hand she has to do it on her own so I don't know what she expects you to do, sounds like your doing enough about it already. Let her know they only allow you to apply every so often and tell her that your happy to help out but she needs to put the effort in as well. GL!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Oh and I forgot to write to you to tell her first impressions last too, they will probably just rip an application up on her because of the store's experience with her the first time around!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• how come she cant put the application in herself? how does he expect her to be able to work if she cant even do that? And please dont take that as being rude, I dont mean anything by that.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If SHE wants the job...why do YOU need to fill anything out for her? I'm sorry. It isn't my intention to be rude, but if her undeerstanding of written and spoken english is so limited she can't fill out the application..she doesn't deserve the job.. People can jump all over me. I'm all for immigration...but if I go to Spain..they EXPECT me to speak Spanish...this is America and we speak English. Tell your husband to back off. In some place it is against the law to fill out an applicatoon for someone else. My son had a co-worker fired for exactly that. The kid was sharp and knew his job, but he was barely literate and couldn't fill out an application. What's worse, all he had to do was ask tell the manager, they would have quizzed him and still gotten the job.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The small detail I left out is that I work at walmart. I'm afraid it will get around and I'l lose my job. My heart about jumped out of my chest when the manager from the store where I work called and someone told him she knew no english.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Again not to be rude, but why doesnt she apply at places like as dish washer, or a fast food cook or something.. or a hotel maid.. im NOT sterotyping im just trying to think of jobs where you dont really need english.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You're not rude. Walmart is retail. Retail reqires LOTS and LOTS of communication. I'm worried that she will have a problem if a customer comes up to her and asks a question.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Repeat after me...."NO!"

She's a grown woman and needs to learn to do things herself!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010