How can I get my 2.5 year old to poo in the potty?

He is completely day potty learned. If I get him up to pee every 3 hours at night, he will have a dry night. But, I have a 7 mo old and sometimes I am just too tired so he wears a cloth diaper to bed (yeah, yeah I know...)
But he will not poo in the potty! He will even get in the closet and bring me a diaper when he has to poo, or I see him wiping his own butt.
I am glad we are over the wiping poop everywhere phase, but I just wanna be rid of diapers all together.
Any suggestions?

whitrashwedding

Asked by whitrashwedding at 7:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you figure it out, let me know. :P My 2 1/2 year old daughter will pee in the potty (I'll take her every hour or 2), but she'll go hide and poop in her panties.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No kidding.. My 3 year old son will pee int he potty but he wont go poop in the toliet I have no clue what to do
    supermom3806

Answer by supermom3806 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my son did the same stuff but one day i asked him why he wont go poo in the potty and he told me he is shy. I said ok mommy is going to go wait in the other room and if you go poop i will get you a snack (he loves fruit snacks yes i bribbed him lol) and he did. He is now 4 and still wont go poop in the potty if anyone is near the bathroom. he will tell me mom i gotta go poop get out!!! its funny but it works its more personal then pee and maybe they are embarrased. try leaving the bathroom but staying near the door see what happens
    purplepanda_33

Answer by purplepanda_33 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Why are you even giving him the option to poop in a diaper? Of course he won't go in the potty, you give in and put a diaper on him so he doesn't have to. Stop giving him a diaper and he won't have a choice.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• No he will just crap his pants. And its pretty hard to tell him no when he is holding his butt and handing me a diaper to refuse. That would just be mean.
    whitrashwedding

Answer by whitrashwedding at 2:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Catch him before he craps his pants? That's what I did with my son, it was tough and I had to constantly watch him but I could tell by his facial expression that he was about to poop. Why is it mean to refuse the diaper? You aren't helping the issue by giving in, it's not mean, it's called parenting, he has to learn sometime. Is it going to be mean when he is 4 and still doing it because you can't say no to him?
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2010