Spending the night at family's house

I have a 4 almost 5 year old that has never had a problem spending the night anywhere. DH and I FINALLY get to go out together on Sunday to a work party and LO is set to spend the night at his sudo grandmother's (great aunt) house. He is just now pitching a fit. I am torn on what to do. If I give in and try to get a sitter (which would be about $70 and probably will not happen anyway) then he will get what he wants and getting him to spend the night will end up being a big problem. BUT if I just drop him off my aunt will be stuck with problems she is not use to (she does not have children of her own. I am their sudo daughter.) and will probably freak. He has stayed with my aunt and uncle overnight since he weaned (about 1 1/2 yrs) without any problems. What would you do? I am just worried, by doing as he wishes, about future outings more so then this one. BTW he loves to be over at their house normally so IDK?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can the aunt stay at your house?

You told him way too far in advance; a couple of hours notice would have been plenty.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Have you asked him why he doesn't want to spend the night at his sudo grandmothers house. This might help a lot. Let him know that he is going to go to her house and that you will be back to pick him up. Also give his sudo grandmother a little heads up that for some reason (tell her why if he gives you a reason why) does not want to go. Then maybe she can plan a "special" activity for him while he is there and he'll be all right with spending the night there. Also make sure that if he has any special things that he takes them with too. GOOD LUCK!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Thanks so much for your answers!!

My aunt won't stay at our house even though we live 5 minutes apart but then again I wouldn't want to either because of that reason. She is an early sleeper and goes to bed by 9pm and we won't be home until 1am or so. We are more then welcome to stop by and pick him up from their house and it is not out of the way or anything so not a problem for us either BUT LO is freaking.

I now know I will never ever tell him before hand. I never tell him about play dates or trips up to his grandparents because he never stops asking to go NOW so the thought that this would be a problem is mind blowing. This is the first time that this has ever happened. Every other time he has begs to go over and was until nighttime even. He is rather independent normally. I have just been thrown for a big loop on this one.

Anonymous