Need Help ASAP Unemployment Question PLEASE READ

On the weekly claim form question #7 says if you want federal income tax withheld for the weeks shown above mark this box. What does that mean? Does that mean mark the box if you want them to take taxes out? Or leave t blank f you want them to take taxes out? I'm confused and I think Ive been making a mistake this whole time please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, you want to have the taxes withheld; otherwise you risk paying penalties and interest on underpayment of taxes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Yes mark the box if you want them taken out.
    Anonymous

Not true. Hubby gets laid off every winter. The state sends you a 1099 to file. There are no penalties unless you don't file on time or pay on time. They will just deduct what you have to pay when you file your other W2's.

Anonymous

• omg I have been leaving it blank thinking that that meant they were being taken out!!! I am so stupid, what is going to happen to me? What do I do?
    Anonymous

• Don't freak out OP, it's OK either way. You will get a 1099 to file with your taxes.
    Anonymous

• I am trying not to freak out, but edd just deducted my payments down $600 from what I was getting so I was relying on getting my taxes done soon for some extra money, but now since they havent been taking out taxes will I even get any tax money?
    Anonymous

• I'm sure you will if you have a W2 from your job before unemployment.

Anonymous

• Likely you WILL get something, IF taxes had been withheld before you went on unemployment.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I have been leaving that box blank for 6 months now
    Anonymous