Babywise? What are your thoughts. Please help

My daughter is almost 9 months old. She used to sleep through the night but now she doesn't. I know i have her in a few bad habbits for sleeping so i know part of her not sleeping is my fault, sadly. Anyhow i have heard from a few moms that they swear by babywise. It works for them, worked for all their kids. Today is my first day putting my baby on this program. She first went down for her nap wonderfully but only slept right under an hr. So then she woke up, i thought she was done but she was still cranky so i did what the book said and put her back to bed (awake again) but then she cried and cried. How do you get past the crying, it hurts my little heart to hear her cry. How long should i let her cry? Shes sleeping now and i didn't give in. It took her about 15-20 mins. How long before she won't be so upset by nap/bed time.

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could take weeks ... for them to get used to it. i however i could never let my child cry but i waited til she was 10 months tryied it one day of laying her down while awake and i was on my bed so she could still see i was there and she fell asleep without crying
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 8:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Babywise is dangerous. Even the AAP is against it. just google dangers of babywise. here is one website http://www.ezzo.info/index.htm

A better option for u would be The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley and William Sears
    Anonymous

• BAby wise is baby torture if you ask me.

She's nine months old...she is NORMAL. Nine months is time for a major growth spurt, developmental milestones,and sometimes teething. This is bound to change her sleeping patterns and make her wake. It is nothing that you did. The majority of childre do no settle into a mature sleeping pattern until they are 3-4 years old.

I would personally NEVER let a child cry for that long at that age. She is still very much a baby. It hurts your heart for a very good reason...your heart is telling you not to do it.

Frankly, a lot of people who use those books aren't usually telling you the whole truth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• That hurt you feel in your heart is your wise mothering instinct. Listen to it, and don't leave your baby alone to cry!
    Babywise is garbage.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends AGAINST Babywise. I think they'd burn copies in a giant bonfire if they dared.

Sleeping patterns will change throughout year one. You've done NOTHING wrong, un;ess you want to consider giving birth wrong. It's not realistic to expect an infant to consistently sleep dusk till dawn.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Babywise is a sick sick book! The author is absolutely horrendous. His own grown children refuse to talk to him and almost every doctor that backed him backed away and removed their names from his atrocity that he calls a book. AAP advises against his teachings, nothing like having a religious man speak about something he has no training and no knowledge about, as well as CA CPS using that book as a red flag which leads to further investigating.

At 9 months baby is starting to get uncomfortable again and waking at night.  It is growth spurt time and teething time (both are very painful) and baby is in need of food and loving to get baby through such a trying time.  There is a reason why you feel bad about leaving your baby to cry; as mothers we are built with a natural instinct to go to our children when they cry for good reason. Would you like to be left to cry when in pain, hunger or uncomfortable?

Anonymous

• Babywise is not torture.. My daughter is a Happy content loving baby and she has perfect weight gain if not more then usual.. she also sleeps from 730 to 930dreamfeeds and sleeps till 715 in the morning.. She smiles and talks when she wakes up and also knows when I lay her down its bed time and hardly ever cries! I think people who take the book literally dont know what they are doing but you can make it flexible if needed
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• BTW my daughters Pediatrician Totally agreeed with me using Babywise
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010