Do I HAVE to introduce potty training to my 18 month old daughter?

It seems like there's this big "push" to get beyond the baby years, and I'm not understanding why. I get this feeling from a lot of cafe moms.

Specifically re: potty training. It seems like everyone is potty training their 18 month olds. Is this a new thing? When I was little, I didn't begin potty training until I was about 2.5 years old. I'm 36 years old now, and I use the potty just fine!!

Is there a real reason that potty training has to begin at 18 months of age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• "Yes, Nathskitten, I am trained to put my 16 month old on the toilet when she says poop. She can't do that herself, and that's fine by me."

Then your child is ready to poop in the potty. Good for the both of you. My point is that you are not forcing her into peeing on the potty when she is not ready. That is my issue, getting angry and frustrated when your child isn't potty trained by a certain age. Not You...general you. I see many posts about moms frustrated they have been pushing potty training for several months and their baby "refuses" to do it. Your DD is obviously ready.
    As I said I pushed it too early with my first child and learned my lesson. My middle child was more like you child and knew when he was poopy and then he figured out when he was going to poop. That is when we started putting him on the potty for pooping. And he mastered that before the pee.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• NO. Don't do it unless you feel your child is ready, not when you are ready.
    Anonymous

• There is no reason to force it. People are so damn pushy anymore it's sick.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so. My son is 19 months and he isn't ready yet.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No. All kids are different. My daughter is 20 moths and just starting to notice when I go pee pee. lol I got her a potty and the Elmo potty time DVD. SHe isnt ready yet but starting to pick up on it a little. Dont rush her.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No, you don't have to. I let my son let me know when he wanted to go in the potty. At just over 3, he just one day decided he was "a big boy" and we've had no issues with him. I'm using the same approach with my daughter, she's 2 1/2. She goes in the potty about 1/2 the time. I'm in no rush. I figured it's easier on all of us if I wait on them to be ready instead of forcing it on them
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No and I wouldn't suggest it either. Most kids aren't ready until 2.5 or later. All that happens most of the time is it turns into a power struggle. I did that with my first. With my second we waited until he was ready and at 2yrs 7months he trained himself completely. We woke up to the sound of someone peeing (our room is next to the bathroom) I told my oldest son to close the door and little Mark yells..."It is not Jack it is me!". He never peed himself again.
    Kids will do it when they are ready.
    You will have people on here claiming their kid was potty trained by 15 months, IMO the only one trained in the house is the mom, to run to the potty every 20 minutes.
    Good luck, you will do fine!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• At our doctor's urging, we tried. It only took two and half years.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

I hope that is sarcasm because if you wait till the child is ready, it will only take a few months, not years.

Anonymous

• around 2 I put potty books in the bedtime routine. Then I wait till the child shows interest. may put a small potty in the bathrm but I don't actully do potty training. My oldest son potty trianed himself at 3 1/2yrs. And my middle son potty trained at 21mo. They did it in about 2 days each. Soooo much less stressfull for both if you let the child do the training, not u! Also child tends too have fewer accidents when they are in charge of this one
    Anonymous