I am getting my IUD removed. What should I expect?

I have had it in for two year. Insertion was painful for me. I had bad cramps for 12 hours. I haven' t had a period for a long time because of the mirena hormones. What should I expent? what was your experience like?

Crystal321

Asked by Crystal321 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It was a week-long process for them to get mine out. I went in the first few times and they "dug around" because the string had been cut too short. Then the gyno gave me some medicine that they give to women who miscarry to try to "cramp out" the mirena. THEN she finally got the IUD hook and removed it. The whole process was very painful to me (especially the "cramping" part because I was already on my period and all of the women in our family have HORRIBLE periods).
    Anyway... I'm sorry... I know that's not what you want to hear... many of my friends had no problems with theirs... this is just my mini-horror story lol...
    Oh, and I expected to just jump right back on the fertile train since my daughter was conceived while I was on the pill... but it's been almost 9 months and I JUST now think I might be pregnant...
    Fun stuff....
    Good luck with yours though! I'm sure your experience will be better!!!
    Anonymous

• Not painful at all like the insertion...just annoying feeling (like a papsmear).

It's common to have some irregular bleeding for a while afterwards as your body figures it's normal schedule again

...and yeah, what they say about being immediately able to conceive again is right, I got pregnant about 2 weeks after removal.
    Anonymous

• My Paragard was lodged in my cervix. I took 2 advil before I went in. I was so afraid.

It felt like pulling out a tampon. I was so relieved.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had the Mirena taken out in March 2009, and my string was also cut too short. He couldn't find it, and couldn't find it, then talked to me about doing an out patient surgery to remove it. Then he got another nurse and reached a little further, and was able to see it, and pull it out.

I didn't really have much cramping, but I didn't have anything other than minor discomfort with the insertion. I spotted for a day or two, and then got my first period two weeks later, and have had a normal, light period ever since. I can't speak to the fertility end because my husband was out of town for 4 months after I had it taken out, and then I started the BC Pill a few months after that, because we decided to wait until March or April of 2010 to TTC.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had mine removed July 15th 2009. I didn't find it painful or anything like that. I got my period 2 days later. I don't think this has anything to do with getting Mirena removed I think it's just me, but my periods haven't been normal since. I think I have had maybe 3 since then if that. And this is the 6th month of my husband and I TTC. I don't think I am ovulating. But like I said I had no problems with getting it removed it was a lot like a pap smear but it was really quick. GL.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I had mine out in the beginning of September I had a really horrible experience getting it put it so I was reallynervous getting it out. But luckily it was painless and quick I was so relieved. It took 4 weeks to start my period and we've been ttc ever since with no luck:(
    Anonymous