Is 102 too high a fever for a 19 month old?

Didn't get any answers, and I really need some. My daughter is 19 months and her fever got up to 102.7, taken in her ear. It's coming down well after a dose of baby motrin, but she has other weird symptoms. It seems like her skin hurts, she's tired and cranky with a little bit of a runny nose.

What do you think?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• She does NOT need to go to an ER. It would be a waste of your time. Children get high temps all of the time... easily up to 105 without reason for concern. She likely has a virus. As long as she is drinking well and not having troubles breathing then just wait it out. If she has a fever over 101 for more than 5 days then I would bring her in to be seen or if she starts to have other symptoms that are worrisome (like I mentioned before... not drinking well, trouble breathing... or if she starts vomiting frequently)
    People over use the and abuse the ER... it's NOT a clinic! And you expose you children to all kinds of germs and countless numbers of useless trauma (blood work, IV pokes, catheters, Lumbar punctures, x-rays) all for a virus that they can do NOTHING about and will tell you to go home and give some Tylenol. People should have to pay out of pocket for non-emergencies.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• call the dr. I think over 104 is bad, but id still call. I would take her temp rectal though. thats the most accurate.
    Anonymous

• What are you waiting for to call her pediatricians office? our blessings? I don;t mean to be rude but if something is wrong with your child high temperature you gave her motrin, still you feel something is wrong, what are you waiting for?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Take her to the emergency room. I had a fever that high last week and it was unbearable for me. I can only imagine how miserable your baby must be. That is a high fever, take her in and have them see what's wrong. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• according to my doctors, if you can control it with medicine, she should be fine.

However, if it lingers for many days, you may want to take her to the doctor to make sure she doesn't have an infection of some kind that needs different medication.

If the medication fails to bring it down, go to the doctor!
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• When my son gets fevers they are either 102 or 103 my dr && the er dont know why he does but they just tell me to try to keep it down && after 72 hrs if its still high to take him back in but with my son he'll have a fever for 2 days then he's fine. But I would call your doctor && see what they say
    supermom3806

Answer by supermom3806 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Keep her warm, but not hot. Wait an hour and see if the temp goes down. I know when I have a fever it seems my skin is sensitive, so that might be the reason why it seems her skin hurts. If it were me and my worried husband, probably would have brought her to the er by now. good luck!
    marykay22

Answer by marykay22 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• take her to the ER asap! I wouldn't let it go any further, I had when a child is sick cuz they can't tell you mommy I need help, but to be safe please take your child in!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I tried to call the ped's office and they don't have after hour's service. The ER is SPENDY and I have other things I have to pay for, I can't run to the ER and get a bill for $1000 (our deductible) just to be told they don't know what it is and to keep her on motrin. Which is most likely what would happen. THAT'S why I'm asking, bebita, and sarcasm, IS being rude.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• AmiJanell, thank you. I'm just glad that someone understands that I don't want to run to the ER for a fever and a probable virus. I was concerned about how high her fever got (she has never had a fever before), and the fact that her skin seemed to hurt, but I guess that's pretty normal for fevers.

The motrin took her temp down to under 100, and she's asleep now. I called the ER and they said that the number of the temp isn't the important factor, it's how they feel. They said I was the best judge of how differently she was acting and to bring her in only if I felt concern enough.

I promise that I would bring my baby in to the ER and spend the money if I really thought that something was very wrong with her. I WOULD NOT let her suffer unduly or risk her life. I'm thankful the motrin seemed to work it's magic and she's sleeping comfortably now. Thanks for your input, everyone :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2010