Do you trust the men on your husbands side with your kids?

My mom NEVER left us alone with men ever. Only our father. I feel like I dont fully trust the men on my husband's side. I also never change my daughter's diaper in front of men.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Then, trust your gut and dont let your daughter around them. The men in the family never offer to watch my kids though. I guess that means I can trust them (hahaha), but my DH's brother is disabled and his sister is really the only once capable of watching them and she watches them all the time.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I have no reason not to. His cousin is a not the most stellar person, but he has never asked to be "alone" with my son. I would mostly worry that he would forget to pay attention and let my son climb a ladder or something. My Brothers-in-law and both Fathers-in-law have never given me reason to worry.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 9:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My hubby doesn't have a lot of men on his side, but I certainly trust the few he has. His dad and his bil (his sis's hubby) are very trustworthy and I would absolutely trust them with my boys. I spent lots of time with my dad's side of the family, with my Grandpa and my uncles - one uncle lived with us for a while after their other brother commited suicide. I actually would have gone to Grandpa with a problem before I'd have approached Granny.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My answer to this is slightly complicated, as I'm not married and the man I am with is not my kid's dad (although he acts more like it than their sperm donor does, but anyway...). So, to answer the question: For their sperm donor, I do not trust him or anyone in his family with my kids, whether I am present or not. His family is the most messed up family I've ever had the misfortune to come into contact with. For my boyfriend, I haven't met a lot of his family, but I do trust him with my kids. I trust him 100% in every way, so if he told me I could trust his family members, after meeting them a few times and determining for myself that they are not serial killers or cannibals, I would probably trust them with my kids. Except for his mother. There are things he has told me about her that I just feel it would be a mistake as a mother to trust her with my kids. Fortunately, that should never be an issue for us. I hope. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yes..my FIL keeps my son sometimes even when my MIL is working..i trust him. I've never left my son alone with my own dad. Just because i know that my dad dont care. He doesnt pay attention to things and he was verbaly abusive to me when i was a kid. I would not want him talking down to my son. Not saying that he would, he could've gotten past that but i feel like he's lost his trust with me from when i was a child
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• There is no reason for my children to be around men other than my DH and my dad without me being there. Even when my children are with my dad my mom is there too. I would never let my children go anywhere near any of my inlaws without me, even if my DH is there (I feel I keep a better eye than he does). I do have trust issues but they are MY children and it is up to ME to protect them. My inlaws are all idiots anyways.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my grandfather sleeps with my son when we go to spend the night..i see nothing wrong with that, he has kept him to
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My mother taught us to never trust men with kids, too so we didn't.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We chose one of my brother-in-laws and his wife to raise our kids if hubby and I died, so yeah, him I totally trust (they also have 4 kids of their own).

The other brother-in-laws...mmmm, not so worried about abuse as I am about their utter incompetence with children. I don't think they'd have a clue about what to do with a diaper.
    Anonymous

• Well I completely trust some of my kids dads male relatives. Some not so much but only because they drink and do drugs. Now, I was molested by my dads half brother and a babysitters husband when I was a kid. But that didnt make me not trust ALL men. I know there are some out there that will hurt a child but I also know there are many more that wont. I use my gut to decide who I allow to be around my children. Now they are 14 and 9 and I would hope they would tell me if something was going on. Maybe not but I would hope.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2010