How to deal with my 7 year old lieing to me?

Hi all. I just caught my 7 year old daughter lieing to me today and really don't know how to handle it. It makes me wonder what else she lied about. I grounded her, but now I feel like I can't believe anything she says. Am I over reacting? Is lieing a normal behavior at this age? Please Help!

LenasMom27

Asked by LenasMom27 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Interesting... I was told in class children weren't capable of lying till there a bit older. Try not to overreact... it may backfire her into lying even more to avoid your reaction. Look for changes in behavior when she's telling you something true and ask her random questions to see how she reacts to things untrue.
    Anonymous

• what kind of class? i worked with 2 year olds that lied! lol.. they could be holding another kids sippie cup right in front of u and i would ask them "Julie is that sammys sippie cup" and they would look right at me" no..,,,," lol so EVERY kid can lie. .i dont believe their is an age restriction lol
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Your reaction will make a world of difference. Make sure that she knows that she was caught in a lie and then a consequence, maybe no tv for the evening or loss of something else. Next time you know she's telling the truth praise her.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I believe it is normal for children to lie. I did it, mine do it, and adults very often lie even when they know better. I would talk with her about the importance of being truthful in order to be trusted and show her what happens when mommy can't trust her, by taking away privileges that come with responsibility and a level of trust.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be crushed, but give it some serious thought. What was the lie? Maybe they didn't want to disappoint you or get into trouble? Did she open up to you afterward and talk about it?
    I hate kids and lying because my first reaction is to be mad and feel like 'How can I have a child that does THIS?'. But the last thing you want to do is explode and make them feel ashamed.
    Concentrate on what they did wrong, NOT the lie.
    That was very hard for me to do and I didn't believe it when someone gave me the advice, but try it. You will find that they start opening up more and not feeling a need to lie to you.
    Anonymous