what is a D&c

jessyka795

Asked by jessyka795 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• that is when you miscarry, you have to go in and get scraped and cleaned out
    Anonymous

• dilation and curettage of the cervix and uterus. The D stands for dilation, which means enlarging. Curettage (the C) means scraping. Together, this procedure involves expanding or enlarging the entrance of a woman's uterus so that a thin, sharp instrument can scrape or suction away the lining of the uterus and take tissue samples.

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• CaseyErin is right, except it is done to remove a miscarried baby that the body couldn't pass.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The only reason why im asking is cause i might have to have one done . from bleeding so much from my birth control pills.
    jessyka795

Answer by jessyka795 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• What CaseyErin said. It can be used to clean up after a miscarriage, as an abortion itself, or for any reason that the uterus might need a cleaning (which really is more serious than it sounds). A friend of mine needed one a month after her daughter was born because part of the placenta didn't detach, which was causing a lot of extra bleeding.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• They are not very painful. I had one with a spinal block after my body did not expel the baby after the baby died. I was in around 7 or 8 I believe and out by noon.

Good luck and remember to ask lots of questions of your doctor so you are sure of he./she is doing.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had one done with an ablation because of my periods. My doctor did a hysterscopy, biopsy, D&C, and ablation, and I was only under for a short time even with all of that. I felt great the next day. I thought it would be more difficult than it was.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2010