Was the Dr. right?

OK so my daughter has her first double ear infection. She has been on antibiotics for 2 days (counting today). Her fever is now 103.4 so I called the on call Dr. and she told me it's nothing to worry about and if she's still feeling really bad tomorrow to bring her in. 103.4 just seems so high. What do you think?

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• babies and young children can actually withstand higher temps than adults. He is right.
    Anonymous

• the doctor said let it go until tommorrow he is the doctor but if you don't feel comfortable with that then goto the er
    Anonymous

• There was a time....not so long ago that parents would have been told to bring the child right in. They have since discovered that a temp that high isn't "unnormal", and can usually just be watched at home.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It takes time for antibiotics to work... and high temps are common in young children. Sometimes the antibiotic they choose isn't the right one, but there isn't a really good way to know with an ear infection.... the only thing you can do is wait and see.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It's going to take more then two days for the antibiotics to kick in. There are things you can do to bring the temp down though. Wrap her in warm, but not too warm of clothing. Sweating helps the temp break. Have her take a cool, but not cold shower. Put a cold compress on her forehead to help cool her down. I don't recommend giving a baby/toddler medication like tylonal, but if you are comfortable with it then that can help as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ok thanks! I'll just watch her tonight and keep up with the Tylenol :)
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son had a fever of 104 a couple months ago. The ER doctor told me that it's not the fever that's the problem, it's what's causing the fever.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You can do stuff to help bring the temp down. I have a freezer full of those beanbags you can heat up or freeze...my little ones like using them as pillows when they have a temp, or you can just lay it across their forehead. Baths can help too but not too cool or they'll get chilled.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2010