what do you do when your 2 yr.old misbehaves in public

this is my first child and my son is going through that terrible 2 stage. when we go to stores he cries for things i cant buy.. he wants to run around away from me. be rude to strangers and so on.... some people say whoop him right there.. but if i do i know he will scream louder. which is more embarrasing... a few days ago we were at the doctors office waiting in the waiting room and he kept running around and getting in peoples way. i kept trying to grab him and he would cry loud and embarrass me. i don want to hit him cause i dont want to look mean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I still deal with this sort of thing from my 4 year old! LOL. They do it cuz they're bored. You need to bring a "bag of tricks" with you everywhere you go. Fill it with his favorite books, toys, and/or activities. He needs a distraction and if that doesn't work, take him to the bathroom and give him your preferred form of discipline and talk to him about what he did wrong.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My parents used to threaten to take me outside.. i knew what that ment and I behaved!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Don't worry about what other people think. He knows that he's embarrassing you, so he's going to keep pushing your buttons. Worry about your child, and reprimand him just as you would at home. When you're at the store and he starts throwing a fit give him one warning. "If you continue to throw your fit then we're leaving and you will go straight to your room when we get home." If he does continue, then scoop him up, go home, and put him in his room. Be consistant, follow through, and most of all be firm. You don't have to result to violence to get your kid to behave. All you have to do is show him there are limits and that there are consequences to crossing those limits. Start time outs if you haven't already, and enforce them anytime he gets into trouble. He'll soon realize that mom isn't backing down and he'll start choosing better in how he reacts.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• For starters forget being embarrassed by tantrums and screams...there's nothing to be embarrassed about your kid being a normal, healthy 2 year old.

Most tantrums I ignore, unless she's in a dangerous place like a parking lot, then I'll move her someplace safe first. If she's completely defiant and such then I'll make her sit in the shopping cart or hold her still for a while (for her that's a harsh punishment when she wants to be wiggling)...all the while being pleasant and ignoring her screams.

...If people look at me, I just smile and say "she's two." they usually nod knowingly and smile in return.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• aawww thank you soo much
    Anonymous

• yes i agree, ignore the tantrums as long as he is in a safe place. If he has an audience, meaning you, he will continue. Now if he is disrupting someone else, try grabbing his arm, pulling him close to you and telling him to sit down, or something along those lines, but don't let go right away. Give him a few seconds to calm. It doesn't always work, and nothing anyone will tell you is foolproof. Just know that it is normal.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Look up 123 Magic on Amazon.com you can get the audio program for about $16 and it is worth it's weight in gold!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Aww, I feel so bad for you OP. My son is almost 3 and knows better than to act like this in public. #1. He is ALWAYS in a stroller or a cart at a store. That way he can NOT run off. #2. As soon as he starts acting up, issue him 1 warning - "If you do not stop, I am going to take you outside and spank you" (yes, I believe in spanking). #3. Follow through EVERY TIME! Soon, he will get the idea that you are not kidding.
    It is unacceptable for him to run off from you, be disrespectful to strangers and throw tantrums in stores. But I agree with most, don't be embarrassed. All of our children will push our buttons at one time or another. Other mothers out there understand, and will respect you if they see you disciplining immediately.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Pick him up and while holding him, pinch his thigh while explaining in his ear that you are give him a reason to cry. But keep your cool. It will not get better until he turns.... I'm sorry that was a passing thought cause my hubby still fusses when he doesn't get his way. Sometimes ignoring him does the trick, plus many ppl are for more understanding. You can always remove him from the room for a moment
    31spoken4

Answer by 31spoken4 at 6:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I bring a stroller that buckles the child IN and they stay IN until they are old enough to act properly when out. I test them, leaving the stroller in the trunk of the car. If they act up, I get the stroller and lock them IN. If they cry and scream I turn them away from me and I refuse to be their audience. Consistency.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010