is 200 a week in groc for a family of 5 too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it sounds about right and I'm starting to get interested in this food storage thing. I tried couponing and it was too time consuming for me and I didn't notice it saving me that much money. OH well
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i have a fam of 6- 2 adults and 4 kids aged 6, 4, 2, and 6 months and we usually spend about 300 on groceries a week- we live in nj- depending on where u live thats about right for a fam of 5- anywhere between 200 and 250 is about right
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We spend 300 every two weeks. We spend half at Costco and half at Winco. It really does help to stock up. Spend 20 on only foods for stocking up. Just double one meal each shopping trip. (For example: buy a complete spaghetti meal, except bread, for two meal preps. Put one set of noodles and sauce away. BUT if you do this three times, you will have enough stocked up.) Good luck! And there is a great group on here Food Storage 101 if you are interested in learning more about stocking up.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I live in NY and I have 2 adults 1 teenager and 1 toddler and i just spent $200 at the market and i still have to go back because i forgot to buy a few things. So to me its not enough, but it depends on where you live.
    Anonymous

• lowencope, try to find a supermarket where they double the coupons, i just saved $25 in coupons.
    Anonymous

• I spend $30 per week for my 18 month old and myself.

Try paring down your weekly food budget to no more than $15 per person. It can be done. It means cutting out a lot of processed (although absolutely DELICIOUS!) processed snack foods. It may also mean cutting down on the soda and bottled water.

I am a couponer, and I save loads of money per week on groceries and household items. It is time consuming, but it's worth it, if you have the time.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I spend different amounts but the average seems to be about $65.00 ~ $75.00 per week for my husband, me & 3 kids, ages 18yrs., 4yrs & 3yrs, and we eat very well & without much processed or junk type food.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• for the answers saying they only spend 30 dollars a week or 65 bucks a week- i have a question- do ur kids go to school/ day care too? cause i know that if my kids went to school i would save alot more too- but i homeschool so i have to provide all the meals and snacks so thats probably what boosts my grocery bills up
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• No, that sounds about right. We're a family of 4 and usually spend about $125-$150. We are a hungry bunch.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

Nope, I'm a SAHM, my kids (the ones living at home) are 18, 4 & 3. We're a homeschooling family too.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2010