Picky Eater

So I read that I should "offer" foods to my little ones many times even if they don't eat them, because maybe after seeing it on their plate 7 times, they'll choose to try it and actually like it. Great advice. I want my children to eat well. But I'm wasting a lot of food by doing this. It is so frustrating. I make plenty of good, balanced healthy meals, but my daughter just won't eat. She would rather snack the day away on yogurt, apple sauce, fruit, "goldfish" or other cheese crackers, cheese, etc. She gets protein from eggs but won't touch beans lately. (We're vegetarians) The only vegetables she'll eat are green beans, broccoli, and salad and occasionally spinach. I don't want to have the same thing for dinner every night, but I'm tired of wasting food. Anyone have any tips?????

Senae

Asked by Senae at 10:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i have a 2 year old picky eater. She won't even eat some of the things she used to like, and i agree that whole theory about them trying something eventually is bogus. My daughter will gag on anything that isn't her usual that i manage to get in her mouth. We go for her 2 year check up next week so i will ask doctor then....but yes, any tips???
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Well the best advice I have us try to not give her snacks. Or at least as many snacks. If she is filling up on snacks she won't be hungry to try some new things. Don't worry she won't starve. I know as a mommy you worry she will starve and we want to give in and give them snacks. I have a 2 yr old who never ate anything. Not exagerating. She is now in OT for feeding therapy because she has a sensory disorder and it has made a world of difference for her. Point is not eating 1 meal won't hurt her. Shell be hungry by the next meal and possibly try something. If I let my daughter snack she won't eat her meals. I also have a pretty set schedule for feeding her. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack but at the same time each day. And I make her eat all food at the table. No walking around and grazing on food all day. Of course I do giver her a treat every now and then. ;)
    Shellsbunch

Answer by Shellsbunch at 12:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• cut back on the snacks a bit. and have her start trying the foods you want her to have.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Save her plate. When she wants a snack offer her the same plate of food. Eat or don't eat. She'll eat when she is hungry enough.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2010