sleeping question

My 10.5 month old has always been a great sleeper. Doctor told us to put her to bed after her bottle when she was drowsy not asleep. Well up until about 2 weeks ago, she was always asleep before the end of her bottle so I would just lay her down and she would sleep for 12 hours no problems. Now, she is tired but is fighting sleep. I lay her down when she is drowsy and she cries and cries. I pick her up and rock her and get her asleep and then lay her down and she atomatically wakes up and starts crying. What can I do to get her to go to sleep on her own when she is drowsy? Is this a stage, like she is testing me or something? Once asleep for good, she still sleeps great at night just having problems getting her to sleep. Any help or advice would be great.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 10:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All she knows is to fall asleep to a bottle.... I personally would put her down sleepy and let her cry till she falls asleep. At her age that is the only way she is gonna learn how to fall asleep on her own. Some do not agree with that method but I do. It works. I wouldnt let her cry for hours or anything but if she is truely tired it wont take long. The longest I ever let my DD cry was prob 15 or 20 minutes then I would check on her unless I could tell she was wearing down. Once she learns what you are wanting she will go to sleep on her own
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yes she wants u to hold her until she is fully asleep. depending on ur pov u can let her cry herself to sleep until she gets the hang of it or u can continue to rock her to sleep every night!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• She could be teething, my son is a great sleeper and goes to sleep when I lay him down weather I rock him before or not, when he is teething all he does is whine and cry untill he falls asleep, what I do is give him some Tylenol and a bottle with water rock him and sing to him and put him down and he usually goes to sleep withing 10 minutes or so.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010