yellow jaundice...help please!!!

my son has yellow jaundice...they did not keep him under the light at the hospital, i kept him almost the whole time, not knowing that he had it! they told me to just put him by a window under sunlight twice a day. well there hasnt been much sunlight but i put him there when there is sun. his eyes are still yellow and it has been 1 week and 1 day. they said if you dont do somethin about it, it can cause brain damage! but they are not helpin any...do u think it will be okay? he goes back to the doctor in 3 days...will it be too late? i am just sooo scared!
and if your child had it, how long did it take to go away?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can you see yellowing in his eyes?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• feed him every 2 hrs to flush it out of his system. That is what my friend who just had a baby about 3 weeks ago was told to do by the doctors.
    Emmasmom2009

Answer by Emmasmom2009 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• if they get any worse than what they were i would take him back because the count can get higher in a matter of hours and get at a dangerous level. I know because my sis's baby had it and i think they said as long as it didnt get above 17 they werent concerned
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son had it for two weeks and was put on bili lights at home. Ask for him to be put under lights.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yes the white of his eyes are yellow!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Even if there is no sun out there are still sun light rays that come through the clouds, so put him by the window even if the sun is not out it will still help your baby, I had the same thing happen with my baby, he was born in Novermber and no sunlight, I put him by the windown and it went away, it may take a week give or take, I just put him in his bassanet right by the window and he slept for hours by the window.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son and I were in the hospital for 4 nights while he was in the billy light bed thing. He was only 4 days old when we went in. I breast fed and my milk didn't come in till that 4th day so he was also dehydrated. Very Scary! Don't hesitate to do what you feel is right. virtual hugs!!
    Anonymous

• I would take the baby to get checked. my daughter had jaundice she had to stay in the hospital for a day on the lights, then she had to bring a billie blanket. I had to take her to the doctor every day to get her levels checked. After the second day of being home she got put on a light bed at home b/c her levels were not going down. This lasted about 5 days.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• He will be FINE I promise. Babies frequently have mild jaundice and it's no reason to panic. Jaundice levels have to be above 30 to have any cause for alarm and to risk brain damage... when babies are that high you KNOW. They don't look yellow they look orange and you would have known that already and they would have known in the hospital as well. A baby with high bilirubin levels typically doesn't eat well and is VERY sleepy, much more sleepy than the average newborn and it's difficult to get them to eat.
    Jaundice starts from the head and works it's way down... you'll see the yellow in the eyes the longest.. it can last a couple of weeks. Jaundice is more common in breastfed babies... usually because they are a bit dehydrated until the milk comes in, but after that it goes away.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Same here Amy.
    OP where do you live?? Is there sun? If so, strip him down during the day, put him under the window in ONLY a diaper. Keep the room warm. Watch for direct sun. He needs the sun, his little liver is trying to filter that out.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2010