Help me understand co-sleeping.....

I guess my problem with co-sleeping is that I don't quite understand it. The child sleeps in the same bed as the parents....like right next to them, right? Usually between the mother and the father, correct? Now, my son is a restless sleeper and so am I so co-sleeping with us would not work. And I understand everyone will do what they deem is in the best interest of the child.....

But for those who do co-sleep...

Do you actually get a good night's sleep? When are you intimate with your husband? What if the child wiggles down the bed and falls out the bottom? Do you own a crib? Was co-sleeping something that "just happened" or was it a planned thing? Do you feel it's more for you as a mother or the child? What's the oldest you would let your child sleep with you? Are you ever afraid someone might misconstrue your innocent co-sleeping for something more, like child molestation or sexual abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• hey is made for some people probably not for you
    Anonymous

• Well,
    When my children were infants and toddlers, we coslept.
    We had sex when the kids were sleeping, sometimes in bed, sometimes in another room. (Remember, kids were SLEEPING) What if...the house gets struck by lightning and erupts into flames and you can't get to the baby? Life is tooo short for what ifs.
    Yes, it was planned, yes we owned a crib (it was a gift). I think it is for both. My son sleeps in my room occasionally. He is 15. (I get up and go to the couch.) No. I don't feel that any normal person would think it was wrong.
    Anonymous

• I used to get a good night sleep until my son turned two and now he squirms a lot so I usually just put him back in his bed. I put him in his bed at night but he usually comes to me in the middle of the night. I did have a crib but he never used it. He got very used to sleeping with me. Now that I live in a town by myself, I find myself wanting him to sleep with me. It makes me feel safer. I co slept and did until I was ten with my parents. I think boys grow out of it easier than girls.

And if anyone think that I'm abusing my son because he sleeps with me they need to be slapped.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Do you actually get a good night's sleep? Yes, better than if I had to get up every time baby cried.
    When are you intimate with your husband? Whenever we want lol. The bed isn't the only place to make whoopee
    What if the child wiggles down the bed and falls out the bottom? I would notice before it got that far
    Do you own a crib? Yes
    Was co-sleeping something that "just happened" or was it a planned thing? We planned it
    Do you feel it's more for you as a mother or the child? Neither. I get better sleep, she feels more secure, it's a win/win
    What's the oldest you would let your child sleep with you? 4? 5 maybe.
    Are you ever afraid someone might misconstrue your innocent co-sleeping for something more, like child molestation or sexual abuse? No. Anyone who would think that is an idiot.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We cosleep because it's what feels most natural for us...like some animal instinct or something to have our young close. It also assists in easy breastfeeding during the night. Our daughter was with us until age 3. My son is with us and he is 5 months.It just seems weird to me to hold this baby in your womb for 9 montys and then put him in another room after he is born. About sleep: I get more co sleeping cuz I would otherwise have to get up and go feed my baby instead of just popping a boob in his mouth. My husband and I put the kids to bed at 8pm and then get it on every where else in the house :). And I feel sorry for people who think it's child abuse...I'm guessimg they never had a mother cuddle and breastfeed them at night.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I co-slept until she was about 4 months old (then she started wiggling too much and interrupting our sleep).

I didn't really plan it, I just kept falling asleep while I was nursing - so it was good for baby and me...baby was able to get her meal, and I was able to get some sleep.

We'd just shift her into the bassinet when we wanted to be intimate.

Daughter is 2 now, we'll only do co-sleeping (just me and her - she wiggles to much for hubby) when she's very sick, or on vacations, but mostly she's in her bed.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We had sex when the kids were sleeping, sometimes in bed, sometimes in another room. (Remember, kids were SLEEPING)
    ---------
    I don't care the kids were sleeping lady that is DISGUSTING.
    Anonymous

• Lady...
    Look into the lifestyles of practically all the other cultures on Earth and get your mind out of the gutter.
    Anonymous

• wow ur'a dumb bitch! most women who co-sleep do it because they r breastfeeding! i did for'a year i loved it never had 2 get up outta bed 2 make 'a bottle just slept topless and switched sides every 3 hours.......if my husband and i wanted 2 have sex it was when our baby was sleeping(not in the bed or room )
    Anonymous

• I really don't think you need to call her a dumb bitch, Anon 11:40, she just wanted to understand what it was all about.... I think her questions were tasteful and sincere.

Like all the rest, I co-slept with my children because it was just convienient.
    Anonymous