Would you let your 13/14 year old daughter watch rated R movies?

I can see maybe if it is rated R because it's scary or violent, but not if their is sexual content and nudity.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 11:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on the movie. When I was that age, there was hardly any rated R movie I hadn't seen unless I had no interest. Most were "horror" movies. Movies that were mainly-entirely full of sex held no interest ot me (still dont). Sadly, most rated R movies these days contain alot of sexual content, even if it's just boob shots. Some are just totally pointless.

I'd probably look into the movie a bit. If it didn't sound too bad, I probably would. Depends on how much you trust her and her judgement.
    Anonymous

• Huh? I disagree completely. I would let my 13 or 14 year old watch a sex scene WAAAYYYYY before violence. Sex is normal and natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Violence should be detested.

Anyway, it would depend on the teen's maturity level, and I would definately have to watch the movie first. So put me down for a "maybe, but probably not".
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would screen the movie first to decide whether it was appropriate or not. There are some R films that are simply rated R because of language and the basic plotline, but some are pretty over the top when it comes to the violence and sexuality. If the movie was just violent for the sake of being violent (like, say, SAW), then no, probably not. But if it was an intelligent movie that happened to have some violence or sexuality that served some purpose to the actual plotline, then I would consider it, depending on the maturity of my teen. Personally, I think that seeing violence in film is far more harmful than seeing sexuality, but that's just my opinion.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• "Huh? I disagree completely. I would let my 13 or 14 year old watch a sex scene WAAAYYYYY before violence. Sex is normal and natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Violence should be detested.

__

Exactly this! Sex is much more acceptable in my book.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• HAVE YOU ALL BEEN WATCHING TV-----THATS ALL THAT ON SEX AND VIOLENCE------ITS NICE TO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN SHELTER YOUR DAUGHTER BY NOT ALLOWING HER TO SEE A RATED R MOVIE BUT I WOULD BE MUCH MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT SHE SEES AND LISTENS TO EVERYDAY--WHO SHE HANGS OUT WITH--WHERE SHE GOES--YOU NEED TO TALK TO HER FIND OUT WHY SHE WANTS TO SEE THIS MOVIE THEN DECIDE. GOOD LUCK!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i would have to watch it first and see why it was rated R...at 14 they do not need to see the glorified aspects of sex! thats what makes them interested in it. if they started off learning about all the gross diseases and pregnancy and AIDS then the hot guy in the sex scene would be a little less appealing to them!!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• eat peanut butter if you can handle it. and plenty of spinach. Plus iron works better when taken calcium.
    31spoken4

Answer by 31spoken4 at 5:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If it glorifies either then, no. If I do allow it, then I watch it with them and they get what I call, "The mommentary" or commentary when I feel there is a need to point out something. Kids that age need to learn about real life first and not engulf themselves in media that sends confusing messages.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Nope. Why put it in their heads that premarital sex is OK? Thats all it is now a days on TV....no one is married in those scenes. Theres enough problems with teen pregnancies......why should I contribute to it?
    Our rule in our house is that there are NO rated R movies to be watched. Some PG-13 movies are raunchy as well....so we screen movies closely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Honestly, no, I wouldn't. But then, DH and I don't watch R rated movies ourselves, so why would we let our teenager do it?
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010