i'm 17 and almost 8 months pregnant. my iron is at like 9.4 (too low) and my doctor keeps telling me i need to get it up. it's not like i'm not trying to. i'm taking two iron pills a day morning and night. he's freaking me out by saying i could bleed out and need a blood transfusion... how do i get my iron up??

new_mommy17

Asked by new_mommy17 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ok, you are taking two iron pills a day and you are still that low? I would be asking my doctor, AM I BLEEDING INTERNALLY??? You need to find out why your body is not making red blood cells or where they are going. Is the iron constipating you?
    Anonymous

• eat lives and meats
    Anonymous

• Eat molasses in stuff (oatmeal, cookies), eat raisons, eat lots of green veggies. Make sure EVERYTHING going into your mouth has iron in it. Another thought, you may not be digesting the pills. Try liquid iron.
    Anonymous

• Take your pills with a glass of orange juice. It will help the iron absorb into your system.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I had the same number as you when I was pregnant and I raised it to almost a 14 by doing these things my midwife told me to do:
    Take one food based iron pill a day along with a vitamin C pill and a vitamin B pill
    Make a pot of nettle tea and drink one to two glasses a week
    Put Molassas and brewer's yeast on my foods
    Eat salad/spinach/beans everyday
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I take spiruleena for iron and protien because I don't eat meat. Spinach has a lot too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• OMG I had the same issue. Are you taking tums or another antacid to control heart burn? They will block the absorbtion of the iron. If you are taking antacids, you need to switch to an acid blocker like Zantac 75 (if that doesn't work switch to Zantac 150). If taking it 2x a day is not getting it up, take it 3x a day.... and with orange juice. It takes me almost a whole year to get my iron reserves built back up after I give birth. So plan on taking iron for a while after the baby. You can drop down to a lower dose, but you are going to have to keep taking it to keep from feeling run down while caring for a baby.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Do you have a cast iron skillet? Cook everything in it!

You'll absorb better from food than pills. Eggs, spinach, meats, beans, molasses, fortified cereals, oats.

Blessings of health to you and your baby!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:31 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/green-foods-increase-iron.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043100.asp#T043107

Check those out, it will show you some foods to eat to get your iron up
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• oh i noticed it didn't give the link so just copy and paste it :)
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010