Does this sound selfish or do you understand?

My husband and i are taking a road trip in July to Orlando FL, its going to be around 12 hours, we have decided not to take our 3 yr old son, We are going for about 6 days..we thought about it but quickly dismissed it..we have other plans for him this summer..but we just think i;ll be more uncomfortable for him and us, but when ever i look up road trips on here its all related to road trips and kids so i started to feel like a bad mother...this is our first road trip and our only trip of the year plus we are going on a tight budget...in the past when weve taken trips we usually make it up to him by taking him on fun outing like the Zoo, Aquarium, ect...we have never taken him on a trip with us, he just turned 3 and we are extremely fortunate that we always have grandparents to take him when we are gone so thats why i really never feel bad b/c he too is having fun with his grdprnts...

Do you guys think we are bad parents???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• No! Depending on what you'll be doing in Orlando, there might be much for him to do. Sure you could take him to one of the theme parks, but he might still be too small to ride most of the rides. Besides, you and hubby deserve a vacation.....its a good way to reconnect.
    Anonymous

• You and your husband need alone time. Go and have fun! You can take your son to Disney when he's older and able to enjoy it more.
    Anonymous

• I don't think your a bad parent but I don't get why if it's your only vacation of the year, you wouldn't want to bring your son.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I don't think you're bad parents. I could never leave my baby for that long, personally. Not until they're annoying and teenager-y lol, but I don't think you're bad parents and I don't think it's selfish either, unless you're doing it all the time. Of course, my opinion might be skewed... I don't have anyone who would willingly take my child for that length of time, and I am still breastfeeding, so it would be a problem for us lol.

I hope that you have fun on your trip!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Good for you! That makes you smart. If he is somewhere he is loved and taken care of, then he should be fine. At that age comfort and routine are essential. He will have that more at home with his grandparents than on a road trip. Don't feel guilty...HAVE FUN!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Hell naw! You deserve some quality time alone and your son will be in good hands. That eliminates a lot of worry. Congrats and enjoy!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• consider yourself blessed to have grandparents so willing to help. while you are off getting much needed alone time with dh think of it like this your son is getting much needed alone time with grandparents--you are building wonderful memories for both your parents and son. my kids have always been close to both sets of grandparents they have a wonderful relationship with wonderful memories. have a great stress free vacation your son is in good hands!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Good for you!! Get out and have some fun while you can! He's too young to remember much of it anyways and it will be MUCH more difficult with a toddler in tow... You deserve some time just for you two!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yeah def take the opprotunity to go out with your hubby. That is great that you guys can have some quality time together. He is only 3, there will be many other roads trips for him to go on later on. I know its hard not to feel bad, but just remember hes safe, and being well taken care of. And think of all those nights with your hubby without being interuppted !!! :):)
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies!!! Sheesh! i feel better and yes thank goodness im lucky enought have grandparents who cant get enough of him...well weve always felt like we should enjoy vacations while we can alone, doing adult things on these vacations because as soon as he is old enough to go on vacations with us its really always going to be about him and everything will have to be kid friendly...so we are deff gonna enjoy a few beers by the beach while we can! I just got a little worried b/c almost everybody that i know or read about takes their kiddos on trips with them even babies, so i started wondering if i was being selfish or a bad parent. Also when i go on vacations i usually cry off and on for like the whole first day or 2 because i miss him so much!♥

Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2010