Holistic vs Modern?

I need advice! I am an expecting parent and my partner, who I Love very much, is not a naturalist or Holistic individual. It is very difficult to talk about parenting when he is so modern and I am so Holistic. Most of my friends have modern approaches to life and parenting as well. I feel like I'm alone in the ideas of attachment parenting and raising our child vegan. Any ideas?

I just asked this question but didn't realize that the question would close after selecting a "featured answer". I would like some more feedback. Thank you!

OrganicMomnDad

Asked by OrganicMomnDad at 12:00 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lol..good because I didn't get to respond..For some odd reason, guys are more stubborn on changing their beliefs. I'd get him to talk to professionals in the field-if you can find some, around here they are few and far between. Show him medical evidence of it being a healthier lifestyle.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I gave DH some info about just a few things, like vaccinations and BPA, then he went nuts. Info on one subject will lead to another then another and eventually he was on board with everything I wanted to do and brought new things to my attention that I never even considered.

Facts are really motivating.

Are you vegan? If he hasn't seen a vegan diet working, then he just doesn't know.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well, philosophies on parenting are like differing religions under one roof. Parents need to discuss while children are not around, determine how to approach subjects and then stay open. Then they will have prepared a game plan, lol, to deal with things that come up.

If you are the primary caregiver and want to nurse and wear the baby and co-sleep and eat healthily then you're input/parenting style will have a greater impact. If he disagrees with choices you have established then you can ask his opinions and reasons. Together you can see what seems healthiest, safest, most nourishing to mind-body-soul.

As the primary nurturer, you will work hard to educate yourself and do what feels best for his/your baby. That deserves a lot of respect!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• see if there is an HMN chapter near you http://www.holisticmoms.org/ Knowing those women have helped me immensly. If you don't have them near you look into your local LLL(many r holistic minded). And a GREAT magazine is called Mothering http://www.mothering.com/

As the primary caregiver of my children my opinion carries more weight in the choices we make for our kids. DH thankfully accepts that. After 11yrs of marriage I have slowley changed his view points on soooo many things. For ex. w/ our first son he couldn't understand why I wouldn't want an EPI, w/ our 3rd child I had a homebirth. He is now a huge advocate for natural birth, breastfeeding, cosleeping. It's all actully funny. He deff did not start out this way!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I am anon 1:03. I didn't mean to post anon, sorry!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010