Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Required Medical Shots... Alternative?

I am a very natural and Holistic expecting mother. I know that in the United States, it is required for children to have shots in order to be admitted to public or private school. I am not sure if there is any alternatives to this or what the consequences would be of not giving my baby these shots. This is something I''m very curious about. Thank you for your input.

Answer Question

Asked by OrganicMomnDad at 12:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • No, you CAN get an exemption and your child CAN go to school! Check the laws within your state.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I don't think that some private schools require shots...I've always been told that in order to get around the laws to say that it's against your religion...being "alternative" (that term pisses me off. What's alternative now was used for hundreds of years) can be considered a religious practice.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • It depends on the state. Some states require that all children have them, period, no opting out, even for religious reasons (actually, I think it's just one in the south somewhere). Some just require that you sign a waiver at the school stating that you won't sue if your child contracts an illness. You'll have to check out the laws in your state.

    Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • it is not required. there are forms for both medical and religious exemption.

    Answer by jcsmummy at 12:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Look into homeopathic nosodes. :) Also, you can get an exemption. Just say, I AM NOT DOING THIS. And they will say OK, sign here, personal beliefs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Really? I've never heard of an exemption. Is this common? I don't remember when I first entered school, but I know for college we were required immunization papers prior to attendance. I'm not sure where I would find the state laws on school shots. Do you know any websites? Thank you for your response! Very insightful.

    Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 12:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2010


    You can find your state and get forms on that site.


    Answer by ecodani at 12:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2010


    Answer by babycakes254 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I currently live in Georgia, which has terrible school systems. Once our baby is ready for preschool, we will be moving so that would be a wonderful thing to research before we choose a new state to live. Thank you all so much! I thought I was the only mom concerned about these things : )

    Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 12:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • I may be jumping ahead 18 years, but does anyone know if these also apply to college?

    Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 12:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.