PA questions

If you have food stamps ....can you use coupons ?

If you get unemployment...how much do you get? Do you actually get enough to live on....do they look at like your rent and stuff to determine an amount?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am on food stamps and honestly I am not sure if you can use food stamps... but i really highly doubt it. My brother in law has unemployment and gets like 600 every two weeks, he used to work for the union. I am not sure what they look at to determine what you get BUT I do know, its hard for him to live off 1200 a mth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• well we live in a small town and things are pretty cheap...our rent is only 350, but we have alot of other things we NEED to pay for...and where he works he does NOT have union...does that make a difference
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I am a cashier at a grocery store. You can use coupons if you are pay with foodstamps.

I am not sure about unemployment. I believe that it is a % of your earnings at your job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The amount of unemployment that you get is based on a lot of factors. It is not based on how many bills you have, or what you pay for rent. It is based on work history and previous income. My husband gets unemployed every winter from his job, and he gets paid half the amount in unemployment then he does from his employer. Regardless of how much we're paying in bills and mortgage.

Go to your local unemployment office, or go to your state's government website.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Yes unemployment is a percentage of what you last earned...it's slightly less than you made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can absolutely use coupons to buy items with foodstamps! You can also use them when picking up WIC items!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Coupons are absolutely acceptable with food stamps! It will actually make your money go farther!! Also buy in bulk, stock up on things that are non perishable for when you don't need them any longer. And unemployment, it is roughly 40% of what your income was. But it is contingent on several factors. You need to contact the employer to see if they participate and to the unemployment office to see what the requirements are.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My dad worked for a factory for 25 years, and he lost his job when the factory closed. He gets unemployment but it is by no means enough for him and my mom to live on. My mom has her job as a postal employee though so they do okay.

yes you can definitely use coupons with food stamps. It will make your money last longer, but don't get suckered into buying the convenience foods or junk foods because that's what a lot of coupons are for.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I get unemployment, and it's less than 1/3 of what I made, so no, it's not enough to live on. They have a cap on what the max pay out is and my salary was way above that, so I'm still screwed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I believe that the Dept of Jobs and Family Services encourages people to bargin hunt and use coupons. Foodstamps are meant to suppliment your grocery shopping, not cover the entire month, so a smart shopper would stretch that foodstamp dollar as much as possible.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010