cows milk

So I saw one mom talking about how she doesn't give her children milk. I thought it was kind of strange bc of all the the vitamins that are needed for small children to grow properly. She said it saves money and there's no reason for people to drink it. What's your take on this?

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would hope that she is giving them nutripals or something that is full of vitamins. Then again if she says milk is to expensive then I doubt she would buy that nutripals.....I dont agree with it. I would never deny my kid of something that is proven to help. Each to their own I guess.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My midwife says, "We don't drink giraffe's milk or dog's milk, why cows milk?"

A lot of people don't do dairy. There are tons of foods available that have more vitamins and protein and minerals and nutrients. If you don't eat dairy then you eat other foods. Plenty of people are lactose intolerant and allergic to milk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You can get calcium and other nuitrients that are in milk from other products. There are other milk type products that are derived from other plants/animals. However, you would need to be very concious of how much you're taking in, so that you're getting the proper amount. There are a lot of families who don't drink/eat dairy products. Whether it's due to their beliefs on consuming animals, they have an allergy to dairy, or they simply don't prefer it. It's very common in today's society for people to opt out of drinking milk and other dairy products.

I personally give my son milk for the majority of his beverages. He eats a lot of cheese, so he does get a lot of nutrients that milk has from the cheese. However, I feel it is better for him to get the milk as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I had a REALLY hard time giving my son milk because it really grosses me out. But he LOVES it so I let him have it. I dont think it is necessary if you make sure that he is eating wholesome nutritous and natural foods.
    My sons diet consists of meat, veggies, fruits and berries with limited dairy and limited grains. He is super healthy and would be without the milk. (2 cups a day)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• ummm...i guess, as long as she is giving them some kind of calcium supplements and providing those nutrients another way that is cool with me....we personally couldnt live without it in my house! my 5 yo doesnt drink it that much she prefers flavored water, but the baby and i cant get enough and neither can his dad!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• notmilk.com

godairyfree.org

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My son doesnt drink cows milk, because hes allergic to dairy. SO he has absolutely no milk, but if she chooses not to if she has insurance they will provide vitamins for the child to be added to whatever it is she gives them. You could also go soy milk and buy coupons for it. We currently get a 1/2 gallon of SILK soy milk ( any flavor ) for .89 because of a $2 off coupons we bought off ebay, we payed $10 for them. We got 200 coupons. Over all we will end up saving $400 on milk. If she wants to cut it out of her childrens diet i would think its best for her to find other ways to give them those nutrients. Or if its too expensive then apply for WIC or something like that, that will provide it. OR go coupon clipping.
    If you do research there are several places you find that tell all about how to give your children the right nutrients if no "cows milk" is provided.
    Kandee1008

Answer by Kandee1008 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• milk is not a neccesary part of the diet. any vitamin, mineral and 'good thing' in milk can be found in a variety of other foods.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I don't get this new anti-milk movement. We drink milk here and are proud of it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• MMMmmmmm..... This WHOLE COW's milk in my Honeycombs is delicious this morning!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2010