How crushed were your kids when you told them.........

That there really was not a Santa Claus?

And what age did you tell your child(ren)?

My son is 5 years old and flat out said, "Mom. I KNOW there is NO such thing as Santa Claus cause the Santa I saw did not look like the Santa we just saw at this Mall. WHY so many Santas and only one God?"

I said,"Well, the REAL Santa has ALOT of helpers, not just Elves who help. And he wants ALL the kids to see him, so he has alot of them help and look just like him. The real Santa St. Nick died MANY years ago, but he has Santa Claus to help do his job."

For now that has helped, but he thinks they are all actors! A friend of a friend dresses up as Santa and goes round to local kids hospital, came by after visiting the kids one night, my son freaked and loved it, but he said," Why does Santa sound like Uncle Mark?" I said..."He uses a voice that's familiar so you won't be scared."

He totally forgot to change his voice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP here-------

So our friend of a friend really messed up a little......but got the HO HO HO down! LOL

Poor kid will say,"See! I knew it Mom.......and you tell ME not to lie!" He is a smart little whipper snapper I tell you!

I plan on telling him when he is about 10............sad thing is a few kids in school do not believe........cause of their religions........and I can't tell him now.......its one of my fave seasons and reminds me of my own childhood and the excitement of it all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I actually told my daughter this year. She is nine and in third grade. It was after Christmas. They were asking so many questions and I didn't want to convince her any further this year only to turn around and tell her next year. A LOT of kids in her grade no longer believe and a friend told me it was just sad to tell her this year, as if trying to make me feel bad.

Anyway, I told her and she got this smile on her face like she was trying not to cry and I felt like a heel. So, anyway, my husband and I played up that she gets to be in on it, part of the club so to speak to keep it going for her sister and brother. That she loved. So she;s perfectly content now. I think kids have to grow up so fast, her especially being diabetic, but the time had come and it comes at different ages for all kids.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My kids weren't because we chose as CHRISTians to tell them the truth about what CHRISTmas is really about,we chose not to lie! So our kids never believed in santa and you know what,they could of cared less they missed nothing in not believing in a LIE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My son asked when he was 7 if it was really true. I could tell by the way he asked it that he had already pretty much figured it out, so I told him the truth. He was completely fine with it. He is now 11 and after reading about some of the moms on here who think it is wrong to tell kids about Santa, I asked him if he thought I shouldn't have told him. He said he is glad he believed and that he will tell his kids about Santa, because it is a fun thing to believe in.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'm so tired of people saying their kids don't believe in a lie. Sorry, but history is riddled with them and they will be taught in school. Everyone lies to some extent even CHRISTians.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• For no other reason than I did not want my children believing some fat dude breaks into our house once a year and leaves them whatever they wanted....I told them the truth from day 1. I mean...."don't talk to strangers...except this santa dude here" "don't take things from strangers....except this santa dude here" Just seemed hypocritical to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think if the are actually questioning you about it them tell them the truth. I wouldn't lie to them when they ask a direct question like that. We dont do christmas (because of our beliefs) but we do the toothfairy thing and she has yet to ask about it but when she asks me I will tell her the truth.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I believed in Santa when I was little and I plan on doing the same thing with both of my kids until they are old enough to figure it out for themselves. My daughter is 2 and I already started telling her that if she doesn't behave then Santa won't come and drop off presents for her. She may not fully understand right now who santa is but she'll catch on as she gets older.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• she will learn on her own. its part of childhood...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Ghandi said it best. "I like your Christ but not your Christians, they are nothing like your Christ." I don't think Jesus would agree in ruining a ritual for the sake of children because you are 'Christian" I am one and won't tell them until they need to know or not at all I just eventually came around without being told. Santa is a symbol for giving and doing a nice thing for children what is so wrong with that?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2010