Slight fever at 12wks?

My DS is 12wks and has a slight fever (between 99.4 and 99.8 oral tempature for about 6 hours). He will get slightly fussy, then sleep for a few hours, then wakes up screaming, then goes back to sleep, repeat so we took his temp to see if maybe he was sick. He's also eating less (was eating about 5oz every 3 hours but is now eating about 4oz every 4 hours). We're not sure what it could be, is this something to be alarmed with? He is not showing signs of a cold (no runny nose, no coughing, no phlem) just a little extra fussy. He doesn't seem dehydrated either because he has been drooling a lot and we're changing the same amount of diapers as before. I don't think he's constipated because he's still having his 2-3 poopy diapers a day too (already changed 2 today and they were pastey like usual). I'm at a loss of what to think, I don't want to take him to the ER unless it's major but I'm wondering maybe I should?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's a normal oral temp. Up to 100.4 degrees. Not a fever...however you should check the temp either rectally or auxillary because oral temps in newborns (even with pacifier thermometers) are notoriously inaccurate. Perhaps your baby is just coming down with something but isn't displaying symptoms yet? have you tried any tylenol for the fussiness? I don't usually recommend meds for minor issues but sometimes that is just what they need. Couldn't hurt to try a dose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• just keep warm /damp cloths over his little head and keep him with minimal clothing and keep checking the temperature if it reaches 101 take him immidiately to the ER . dont hesitate i've been through this before and my son had a Febrile Seizure .. i thanked god that the seizure was because of the fever that spiked up and not epilepsy,Meningitis or anything else
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 1:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• thats exactly what is wrong with my son. and he is about 12 weeks also. i took him to the dr he has a cold. they told me to take him to the er if it gets to 100.4 other than that just keep an eye on him, and if he is running a little one just take his clothes off and cover him with a light blanket.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• my son didnt have a stuffy nose no cough or nothing. the only things that was wrong with him was his eyes were really watery. all the time. he was runnin a little fever. it got up to 100.2 so i took him in. if it gets to 100 i freak out lol. he is fussy and he was eating earlier and threw his whole bottle up, like a water fall. so i took him in they drew his blood. and everything. if your worried just take him into the dr, they wont get irritated. thats what they are there for. just do what you think you should do.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I just have to ask how you dd an oral temp on a 12 week old.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• The pacifier thermometers they sell at Target.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• make an app.maybe irritated ears on the verge of infection i am a mother of 5 and restlessness and waking up screaming was usually an ear infection might be a mother of 5 but i dont know everything good luck though when babies arent happy aint nobody happy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2010