If You Are Over 18 without a drivers license, how long does it take to get one?

My sister is almost 20 and she is just now thinking about getting her drivers license. Does she have to wait as long as a 16 year old would have to wait after they get their permit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• it depends on the state i got mine when i was 18 in california
    i went in took the written test (i didnt need the driving school or pink slip thing because i was 18) passed the test then took the first availble appointment for the dirving test (didnt pass the first time lol) so i had t wait 2 weeks before being able to go back
    ISLUVZOLIVIA

Answer by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 1:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I believe you go into your ss office or DMV and you take the written test get the permit and then when they are available you schedule an appointment to go take the test. I am 20 and i have no license yet. Im about to go apply to get one however. I dont have one due to a horrible accident that i was in and they said i wouldnt be able to drive for a long time. Im healed now and ready to finally get it before my husband leaves for the air force so that i can drive around with our son. GOOD LUCK!:)
    Kandee1008

Answer by Kandee1008 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• i got mine at 16 in wyo and it takes at least 2 months to get a new one for any age. im 19 now and mine isnt due til im 21
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It does depend on the state. It took our daughter forever because the DMV doesn't do the driving test you have to go to an independent facility and take the drivers test, only the written test is taken at the DMV. After the written test she had to wait a month and then could go take her drivers test. Here in MI there is no drivers ed in school, again, you have to go to an independent facility and take drivers training, costs around $400-500 dollars, wait 60 days I believe, then take the written test then the drivers test 30 days after that, what a mess! Back in Arkansas you could get a hardship at 14! That's crazy too lol
    Michellek89

Answer by Michellek89 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2010

• Depends on the state. In NC, you do not have to have a permit nor do you have to wait before receiving your full liscense. You take and pass the written test and then can take the driving test.
    Anonymous