Should I really be depressed after 5 months?

So I had my son back in August. Breastfeeding didn't work and I'm not eatting right mainly cause I'm depressed. I'm a single 25 yr old mom who has bad credit and lives with her parents, left my sons father cause he was a crack addict, I feel extremely fat (which I know I weigh over 200 lbs.), and just about all I do is go to work (using my parents car, I don't have one) then come home and take care of my son. The other day I told my mom one of my friends birthday is coming up and she wants me to hang out with her, she said I can't do that anymore. So I'm stuck at home. I guess I am just wanting someone to talk to, someone who knows what i'm going through. I am so depressed all I want to do is just cry all the time. Any advice???

daisy06

Asked by daisy06 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Health

• I'm sorry you feel so depressed. You can experience PPD up to a YEAR after giving birth. If I were in your situation, this is what I would do: Go to the doctor and tell them your situation. They may refer you to counseling or give you an antidepressant or both. Then I would sit down and write out a list of goals. Make a timeline of when you are going to accomplish your goals and stick to it! Try to stay positive....sometimes, our attitude is the ONLY thing that we have control over so might as well make it a good attitude and everything else will fall into place. Don't be so hard on yourself...you're a good mom for working and providing a SAFE home for your baby. Just take it one step at a time and if you ever want to chat, feel free to message me!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I personally was depressed at a year! I was put on 17 out of 25 antidepressents to find a solution. DH was deployed 15 mos... I am 1500 miles away from the closest family and now she's 2! There is a lot you deal with as a mother... and the main thing is you're friends! Imagine... if you had no family or friends? What would you're goals be like then!? The first and foremost goal.. YOUR CHILD! She will be there (until she understands dif!) But you're job is to teach her! Many of my friends are gone, but my daughter is still here! She is the reason I keep on going! The main! You're friends drift in and out TRUST ME!!!!! Stick with your CHILD! She will remain for life!!! It's ok you missed you're friends bd! If you can hang out with her now, you can hang out with her whenever! Put you're priority first!!! YOUR CHILD!!! didn't mean to sound harsh, but you know what you need to do! And... are you working, have friends, bfing?????
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well sweetie you have a lot going on so yes I do believe you can be depressed 5 months after baby. Your hormones are still out of whack and situations in your life aren’t ideal.
    Do you talk to anyone about how your feeling? Have you had blood work done to check your thyroid? While I do think it’s depression, thyroid conditions can also cause symptoms of depression, along with weight gain, mental fog, fatigue….the list goes on!
    Please if you need someone to talk to don’t hesitate to PM me. I don’t know if I will be able to give advice, but I can be there for you to vent and maybe give guidance on life situations I have been in and what I did to overcome them.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 4:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2010